CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Regulator and Starter issue. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regulator and Starter issue. Any tips?

First I thought my battery had died when the starter was slow. But after runstarting it and driving it to the garage I saw that the voltage was at 13.6 with the ignition on. And later when I tried to start it the starterrelay just made a fast-paced clicking noise. Later when I was on my way home, I was reving it, all the headlights went dead, and the speedolights started flickering, and then the engine died.
And after I got it to the garage, the fuelpump didn't stop making a sound. Am I wrong when I think it's the regulator and starterrelay that's fried?

edit: It's a '99 F4

Result 1 week after original post:
I bought a new Rectifier and battery. Started with no delay, and running smoothly!
Now it runs like a charm

Last edited by Stian Frank Amadeus; 08-26-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery. Replace it or verify it's in good shape and go from there.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was that 13.6 with the engine running? You can only check stator and regulator with engine running. And, was the issue with the fuel pump running with the key on or off? The fuel pump should only run when the engine is running as well. If it is running while the key is off then it sounds like a switch issue. I would be double checking grounds as well.

A dead battery will not make the fuel pump stay on, and neither will a bad stator and/or regulator.

Check the voltage at the battery with the bike running, if you get 13-14 volts then the stator and regulator are working. Then, with the bike off, check the voltage. Wait a couple hours and check the voltage at the battery, with bike off, if the voltage has dropped significantly the battery is dead. You can do the same test, after charging the battery to full with the battery unplugged. if the battery doesn't drop the same when it's not connected, then you are probably dealing with a short in the system causing a draw.

The fuel pump running thing is what is more concerning, as all other issues can be related to simply a bad battery.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VeritasArchangel
Was that 13.6 with the engine running? You can only check stator and regulator with engine running. And, was the issue with the fuel pump running with the key on or off? The fuel pump should only run when the engine is running as well. If it is running while the key is off then it sounds like a switch issue. I would be double checking grounds as well.
A dead battery will not make the fuel pump stay on, and neither will a bad stator and/or regulator.

Check the voltage at the battery with the bike running, if you get 13-14 volts then the stator and regulator are working. Then, with the bike off, check the voltage. Wait a couple hours and check the voltage at the battery, with bike off, if the voltage has dropped significantly the battery is dead. You can do the same test, after charging the battery to full with the battery unplugged. if the battery doesn't drop the same when it's not connected, then you are probably dealing with a short in the system causing a draw.

The fuel pump running thing is what is more concerning, as all other issues can be related to simply a bad battery.

it was 13.6 with the engine off. And when I turned on the lights it went down to 8.something.
and the fuelpump started ruinning after the bike broke down, when I tried to turn on the ignition. I took the battery out, and it was bent at all walls, so the battery was most def dead.