New Project - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Old 04-26-2017, 11:12 AM

Default New Project

Just picked up a new project.

It's a 1999 CBR600f4. The bike was my son-in-laws and was his first. He road it nearly daily up until a couple years ago and then he didn't ride as much. It's mechanically strong, but seems to have an electrical glitch somewhere, possibly from some aftermarkets things added, and partially removed, by the owner previous, and then compounded by it living year round outside in the weather, and rarely on a tender, the past few years. When my kids moved last December we could get it to jump, but died as soon as we removed the jumpers. I figured stator or rectifier. He didn't want a project bike and so we settled on a deal. It sat in their new garage over the winter, and just a couple weeks ago I went over to retrieve it, and this time after jumping it, she ran great. Rode it home from Tacoma, but the battery never took a charge. Jumped it again and tested the battery and got 14 volts so looks like stator and such are fine. A new battery is next. But along those lines I am going to go through the entire harness and fix some of the hackjob wiring that's been done.

Also, all new body work is in store (my son-in-law is not a painter ). I'm actually looking at race bodywork for it and cutting in a single, off-set, projector headlight ala '90s endurance bikes. We'll see about that. But it's been to long not having a sport-bike in the fold so I'm looking forward to seeing where this will go. Plus I plan to catch the entire process on camera.

Save
Save

Last edited by VeritasArchangel; 07-05-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:54 PM

Thumbs up

WOW, finally a project F4... nice work and pleaseeeee pleaseeee keep us updated with all work and pictures. It's been a long time since someones done one on here now... and be fantastic to see your work!
She looks like she needs some TLC matey, but yeah mechanically if sounds. First things first:

1. Drop all the fluids and get fresh stuff in there and if possible get some carb cleaner to flush the whole system through. Get some Iridium Spark Plugs in her and a K&N Filter. if possible, also get the carbs setup nicely on a rolling road, not too expensive but believe me, it's like night and day!
  2. Sort that wiring out as you say, nothing worse than gremlins or botch jobs.
  3. I reckon you could take all that fairing, sanddown and do the respray yourself?
  4. She just needs some SDOC 100 all over her, every little greasy place and give her the clean of her life. New Sprockets and Chain...

Last edited by Pugheaven; 04-30-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator and Fighterer

KCCO, brother!

Looks fun. Can't wait to see the journey of it's way back to glory
Old 05-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Subscribed! Looking forward to updates. I have a higher mileage '99 f4 and it's always fun to see what others do with theirs. Mine is due for cosmetic upgrades so I'll be curious to see the path you take.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:29 PM

This is the color scheme I am going to go with when I get the new body work.
Attached Thumbnails
New Project-rvf750.jpg  
Old 05-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasArchangel View Post
This is the color scheme I am going to go with when I get the new body work.
Nice. Have you determined where you're getting bodywork yet? Ebay has plenty of chinese options which I understand are good enough quality for the money.

-morgan
Old 05-02-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganllj View Post
Nice. Have you determined where you're getting bodywork yet? Ebay has plenty of chinese options which I understand are good enough quality for the money.

-morgan

Yeah, I'm going with these guys:

HONDA CBR 600 F4 99-00, CBR600, fairings, bodywork, fairing, upper, lower, mid, seat side, race, street, fender, tail, undertail, tank

And this kit:
Attached Thumbnails
New Project-glf4a%7E1.jpg  
Old 05-02-2017, 12:53 PM

I like the race tail they offer that still uses the stock seat.
Attached Thumbnails
New Project-5cbr69s%7E1.jpg  
Old 05-03-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganllj View Post

-morgan
When I couldn't afford the respray on mine, I had one of the cheap Chinese ones shipped to UK. Was cracking stuff, obviously not upto the same quality as the original HONDA stuff. However, the spray work and everything can't go wrong for the money. I'd reccomend and it all fitted solid as well.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugheaven View Post
When I couldn't afford the respray on mine, I had one of the cheap Chinese ones shipped to UK. Was cracking stuff, obviously not upto the same quality as the original HONDA stuff. However, the spray work and everything can't go wrong for the money. I'd reccomend and it all fitted solid as well.
Since I plan on running race bodywork, none of the Ebay stuff will work. I can do my own respray on the bodywork I have as a temporary measure. Helps to have a body shop and bike shop next door.