CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

New Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JesseeS
Looking good! I don't know how strict your state is, but I was planning on using motorcycle "driving lights". They are led, very bright, and generally used on adventure bikes crash guards as extra lights for when they are off the beaten path. May want to check those out!
Yeah, WA requires that the headlight have both high and low beams. SO that limits me to what I can use.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:34 PM

An update on the project:

Had a delay on the paint, had a weird reaction with one of the final coats of white that caused the paint to wrinkle. Even after letting it cure and sanding it down, any paint would cause the same reaction. Ended up sanding the tank to metal, and upper and tail to plastic. Whatever it was managed to get into the plastic as well, because as soon as primer hit the tail it reacted again. The tank took primer no problem and is salvageable. I have a new upper and tail ordered and just waiting on them to get here. (As an aside, I hate the fact that most tails available for this model have the holes in them for the European grab handle.)

While riding the bike before I stripped it down I noticed an ugly, but relatively quiet, rattling. Turns out a common problem for the early CBRs is their automatic cam chain tensioners stick and don't keep tension. Fortunately, it's an easy fix with the tank off.

Had to take the wheel off to get the front fender off and found no grease on the axle. That will change when it goes back on. Brakes look good, but I will probably upgrade the pads. And am doing an oil change, even though it was recently done, to get rid of the K&N oil filter and replace it with a good HiFlo one.

Plus, started getting in other goodies for it, including new OEM levers, ProGrip grips, new throttle tube, new flush mount front turn signals, new clip ons, New double bubble windshield, and complete fairing bolt set (since son-in-law lost all the others). New short stalk rear signals are on their way.

Attached Thumbnails New Project-img_6918.jpg  
Old 06-29-2017, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VeritasArchangel
An update on the project:

Had a delay on the paint, had a weird reaction with one of the final coats of white that caused the paint to wrinkle. Even after letting it cure and sanding it down, any paint would cause the same reaction. Ended up sanding the tank to metal, and upper and tail to plastic. Whatever it was managed to get into the plastic as well, because as soon as primer hit the tail it reacted again. The tank took primer no problem and is salvageable. I have a new upper and tail ordered and just waiting on them to get here. (As an aside, I hate the fact that most tails available for this model have the holes in them for the European grab handle.)

While riding the bike before I stripped it down I noticed an ugly, but relatively quiet, rattling. Turns out a common problem for the early CBRs is their automatic cam chain tensioners stick and don't keep tension. Fortunately, it's an easy fix with the tank off.

Had to take the wheel off to get the front fender off and found no grease on the axle. That will change when it goes back on. Brakes look good, but I will probably upgrade the pads. And am doing an oil change, even though it was recently done, to get rid of the K&N oil filter and replace it with a good HiFlo one.

Plus, started getting in other goodies for it, including new OEM levers, ProGrip grips, new throttle tube, new flush mount front turn signals, new clip ons, New double bubble windshield, and complete fairing bolt set (since son-in-law lost all the others). New short stalk rear signals are on their way.
All looking good. What you think caused the reaction with the paint not seen or heard of that before bet that was frustrating after all that work :-(

Last edited by Pugheaven; 06-29-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:11 AM

Still haven't figured out the cause. But yeah, bugs me to have lost all that time. Now just waiting on bodywork to get here to finish it up. Have to say the that lowers turned out fantastic (at least in this temporary color scheme), and can't wait to get the rest done. Should have the upper here this weekend so that will be good.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 06-29-2017, 02:25 PM

SO here's a teaser of the temporary paint scheme I'm going with. The lowers are done, other than a last coat of clear. Good news is that the tank has now taken primer and all coats of white with zero reaction. Now to wait a few days to mask and paint the top of it black.

Attached Thumbnails New Project-52c68f17112a426fac5b013c6818572b.jpg   New Project-cdc43cfa1ab63dc198a5d470f004602a.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 06:23 PM

Upper fairing came in Friday. Took a bit of sanding to get some imperfections off. It's been primed and just about ready for first coat of white.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:03 AM

Starting to get there.

Name:  54qaVAhl.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  yzyosvkl.jpg
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  slpudlUl.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  2U4v2mEl.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 07-07-2017, 01:46 PM

Progress. Fender and upper fairing installed, along with new windshield. Also installed are new clip-ons, grips and throttle tube. Also got all the new turn signals installed and wired. Starting to look like a bike again. Still waiting on the new tail to show up.

Name:  HCACI6il.jpg
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  qCAtuTwl.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  w6FTimul.jpg
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  UphJc4Wl.jpg
Size:  76.2 KB

And just a reminder of what the old grips looked like:

Name:  hEWvubsl.jpg
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  9BS2Qzhl.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  47.2 KB

Old 07-11-2017, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, that looks fantastic, loving this fella, keep the pictures coming.

Quick Reply: New Project