CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

New member Introduction and carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks i'll give it a try! I'll follow up on this thread as well.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Oh by the way, I did not introduce myself. I currently reside in upstate New York, Hudson Valley to be specific. I have owned 2 motorcycles. A KLR-650 (Kawasaki enduro) and my yellow CBR600F4 which i bought new.
Out of the 9 nine years i had it, it has been nothing but great as far as reliability and the fun ive had on it.
Only mods ive done to it have been K and N air filter and a Yoshi slip on.
I recently put on a new chain and a black smoke windscreen.
I have over the years lusted after a 1. 2003 Silver/Black R1, 2.Repsol CBR600RR, 3.this years Repsol CBR1000, 4.and this years (2009) Yellow R1.
I would never trade in or sell my CBR. Just not an option for me.
I have pondered the idea of getting Repsol plastics or to do a custom job to spice things up. But honestly I still get complements for the way it is.

My headers are very rusted and I've been thinking of putting a full system titanium pipe on it for along time. They use to have a Yoshimura full system titanium but it does not exist any more. Aropovic looks cool but its 1.5k, and i hear those have issues as far as leaking etc. I noticed a Ti-Force for 1k does anyone have any experiance with this pipe?
I also hear light weight rims drastically improve flickability. But are they overkill for the street?, and does the performance warrent the average 2k price? I would probrobly go for the Dymags 5 spoke. http://www.bici.co.uk/p/593236/dymag...-fitments.html
These ideas are nice to ponder but doing these mods would be overkill as far as money is concerned.
Anyway it is nice to be part of a forum such as this. I like to see what you guys are doing to your bikes as far as mods, customization and of course ideas about repair and improving performance.

Last edited by cbtrez; 04-16-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:51 PM

CBTREZ- post that in the NEwbie forum "new member introduction" forum as well!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 PM

Thank's for everyone's good advise, especially convicing me on the carb tuner. The Morgan's Carbtuner Pro is a great tool, easy to use and quite accurate. It did wonders for my bike.
http://www.carbtune.com/

I repulled the carbs, cleaned and put it back in. After bit of starting hesitation, it was running better than the first time when I put them back. I am guessing it was some sort of vacuum problem, either the vacuum/diaphragm or the intake manifold side. The air wasn't mixing right with the fuel, thus poor idling. And the carbtuner did settle the revs much nicer. Although, it takes some time to get it fiddling right for the first time user, the sync screws are supersensitive.

Now I ordered a new chain to replace old one/stock, the rear tire has been chirping and chattering during low gear or low speeds.

Also changed the engine oil and oil filter, and flushed and replaced the radiator fluid. My bike is bit over 15k, I think my next project is to check for valve clearance.

Although I am not sure if I should do the valve adjustments, it seems messing up one of those clearance formula provided by the manual will no doubt ruin my engine for good.

Well at least I learned a lot and got a good handle on the fueling system of my bike.

Z_Fan.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM

However, a smaller problem that I noticed is that the throttle is sticking a bit, not free or snappy as it used to be. And if I turned the steering head all the way to right and roll on the throttle, it sticks and will not snap back until the head is straightened. I tried lubing the cables from the top and throttle side, but it didn't help much. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 05-07-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 AM

I would try to clean in between the grip and the throttle handlebar. If that is not the case it may be the handle bar it self. I dropped my bike once on a wet road and i bent the throttle handlebar. Once i replaced the handlebar my throttle did not stick anymore.

Last edited by cbtrez; 05-09-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Z_Fanantic:
After assembling everything and putting back together, the bike wouldn’t start and I was worried. WTF, did everything by the book (we had the HONDA OEM service manual and THERABBIT’s how to guide, thanks). https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40713.
It took a while for enough fuel to flow into the float chamber and for the bike to fire once again, we were elated and ecstatic when it did. Now the bike fires up like champ every time with one 2 sec push and no choke.
I am having the EXACT problem as you, and have done EXACTLY what you did, but I'm stuck here. The bike just won't start. What did you do to make this work? It just happened on its own? How long did it take?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:12 PM

That happend to me twice, after cleaning the carbs and setting it on the engine, the bike won't start right away.

It takes some time for the carbs to attain the fuel. I was about to give up thinking something went wrong. But I cranked the starter few times (5-6 and no more than 5 sec each crank and pause some), and gave it 5-10 mins breather. Had the choke near the full mark (not all the way), and gave it 3/4 throttle every time I cranked it. After that short breather, bike would show signs of firing, and then eventually it would start with choke on. And I gave it additional 5-7 mins for the engine to be warmed up.

After this first trial, the bike starts fine subsequently without any choke now every time I start.

In order to better diagnose what's wrong with your bike, I need to know what you've done so far to check and eliminate things that are functioning, pretty sure other members will chime in as well. For ex. check the sparks for all four plugs, check batteries, etc.

My bike was working fine, until it sat in the garage for a year. All the fuel in the tank and carbs emulsified and clogged up all sorts of places. Had to take off the carb again and set it back right (vacuum leak could also prevent start up). And then to tune the carbs right, had to use carbtuner. If you read through all my posts, it's all there in details.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure the specifics will help once I get this thing back together again. Unfortunately, I discovered my slow jets were clogged, which I'm fairly certain was the problem.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:31 PM

I am also having this problem w/ my 99 CBR600 F4. About 3K miles ago I took apart the carbs and reset the main pilots. The bike ran fine until now. It falls on its face up to 7grand. My question is- Do I have the same problem and if so why do the carbs get out of adjustment?

Quick Reply: New member Introduction and carb problem