CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

New to the cbrf4. Need help with this beast!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the cbrf4. Need help with this beast!

First off, dont reply if your an idiot. Not being rude, i just dont want the old "clean your carbs" B.S. Like i said before i am new to this bike. cbr600f4. I just picked up the bike yesterday and its going to be my "New" stunt bike. I got it for 900 bucks and its cheery. 7,000 miles and not a scratch anywhere! So when i picked it up, i had to literallly yank it out of this guys paint shop that was his storage for the last 5 years. It sat for that long! Before i even got it i had plugs,fuel filter,air filter, oil,etc. I cleaned the carbs, i did not unbolt the TPS. It was pretty bad. The tank had gas/sludge in it. Cleaned everything. The tank was 250 bucks to clean. Shoulda bought a new one. Installed new plugs, fuel filter, air filter, and changed oil. Oh!!! Just wondering if everyone else with this bike also pulls the carbs off with the boots? I just couldnt see any way to get to those upper clamps. Anyway. Put it all back together. No air leaks or anything, all those little hoses correct and all that. It starts fine. But, if i give it like 1/8 to 1/4 throttle and hold it...it kinda sputters like its starving for fuel. All the way to about 8 grand. Then clears out. Any more throttle and it wont rev up. When i ride it kinda the same thing, but i can wick the throttle open and it will rev past the sputter and clear out on the top end. Kinda like the pilot jets are still not clean. But they were. Shy of a carb sync, the carbs are done. I checked the manual for the electrical specs on various parts and all the readings i got are within spec. The only aftermarket parts are steel braided lines front and back and an old school two bros full system. I hit a top speed of 150 today ( please dont hate, thats what the needle pointed to) so i know its getting enough air/fuel. I have a 92 f2 and it has never done this. But it is a whole nother bike. Is there some sorta weird bug i dont know about. The engine itself sounds great. No weird noises. Just tight and like its got 7k miles. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:06 AM

They make a tool i forget what its called but its for cleaning stuff like the little holes inside your jets. It looks like the allen wrenches that are all made together that just fold out. I would get one of those and take all of you jets out and run those through it. Also make sure you dont have any kinked fuel lines or breather lines. This is where i would start and anything that filters or has fuel that runs through it like lines etc. I would change or clean very good since it sat for so long. Good luck hope you find out your problem

Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 AM

i think he is talking about a tip cleaner for a torch...

Old 03-13-2010, 05:53 PM

i found the problem today, its the two brothers full system. lol must require a jet kit. lol thanks guys.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Default Jet kit

...that was going to be my reply. I'm glad I read to the bottom before jumping in!

Last summer I sold my smokin Joe's and bought a '99 f4. It had a D&D pipe on it but wasn't jetted for it. There was a big flat spot between 4k and 7k. The guy I bought it from had a stock pipe, and when I put it back on it smoothed right out.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 PM

It is a carb. bike, you have to jet the carbs for any aftermarket exhaust system... The worst part about carbs, adds $100 to the price of any exhaust system you might want....

Old 03-17-2010, 05:47 PM

hey guys i have stock exhaust but i want to replace it but i want to buy a used one and but it on mine maybe weld and some fabrication here and there but wat do you mean by JET THE CARBS??