CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

My CBRF4 so far..

Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My CBRF4 so far..

Hey guys,

Ive had my bike two months and got it in pieces.

Cons: The F4 came with no side fairings, an uninstalled super race tail (doesnt fit), no turn signals or mirrors.. AND it has sat since the year 2001 after the previous owner laid it down in a turn.

Pro's: Bike sat for 11 years in a heated garage and had wheels turned every 2 weeks. Just got the entire fuel system + vacs professionally cleaned. F4 has only 2,000 miles on it.

So, ive played around with the bike a bit and had to repair the front nose fairing and do some paint work. Installed flush mount front signals and mirrors with LEDs.. state troopers had me remove my twin brothers racing exhaust and said just the straight pipe is legal(wtf???)..

Im looking to do a few mods soon such as the F4i tail swap and have been studying gotcbr's pix pretty extensively.

Here are a few pix of what she looks like so far:

Name:  IMG_3725.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  37.8 KB
started raining..
Name:  IMG_9167.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  58.8 KB
tank needs work now..
Name:  IMG_1272.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  28.3 KB
tail section without the fairing..
Name:  IMG_4839.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  62.4 KB
side view of tail section
Name:  IMG_9358.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  36.0 KB
air-tech super sport race tail that doesnt fit..
Name:  IMG_7014.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  40.9 KB
underside of that fairing.. thats just dirt not cracks :P
Name:  IMG_5894.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  39.6 KB
..last pic for now.. mounting holes that make the tail not fit.. they need to move forward 3/4 inch or shave the underseat fender lol.

anyways i hope to be starting projects and writeups on my progress soon. thanks for all the writeups and good info everyone.. most of the work i wanna do has already been done

Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM

Maybe I'm mistaken but Are the flat seat and subframe from an F4i? I have been on eBay and google looking at pix all day and I seriously don't think I have an f4 subf and seat... Would save me some $ if y'all could help me confirm this? Thnx

Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I can see in your pics, you do have the banana seat subframe.

1999-2000 = banana seat
2001-2003 = split-seat
2004-2006 = banana seat

In my photo gallery, I have a comparison pic of the F4 vs F4i frame. Perhaps that will help you.

I'm looking forward to seeing you bring your F4 back to life w/ the TLC you're giving it & any mods you may do.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the needed clarification gotcbr. I've decided I will keep the air-tech rear fairing and see if I can't cut the undertail section to make it fit.
Here are the mods I'll be attempting in the next week:

•gas tank CF wrap with a red clear glaze (used on JDM taillights)
•manual seat release conversion to automatic and relocation (have no clue where im going to put it yet)
•custom/DIY Fender elimination to fit the air-tech super sport race tail
•stator cover gasket replacement and metallic red facelift

.. These are my short term goals. Long term goals don't work for me because I get excited and dive right in :P any input y'all might have on any of these would be amazing, thanks!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Glad to see the cf tank wrap gaining popularity!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Acespad3
Thanks for the needed clarification gotcbr. I've decided I will keep the air-tech rear fairing and see if I can't cut the undertail section to make it fit.
Here are the mods I'll be attempting in the next week:

•gas tank CF wrap with a red clear glaze (used on JDM taillights)
•manual seat release conversion to automatic and relocation (have no clue where im going to put it yet)
•custom/DIY Fender elimination to fit the air-tech super sport race tail
•stator cover gasket replacement and metallic red facelift

.. These are my short term goals. Long term goals don't work for me because I get excited and dive right in :P any input y'all might have on any of these would be amazing, thanks!

You have to cut out most of your stock undertail to make that racetech fit. I had to do the same thing to mount my Hotbodies super sport tail.

I cut off the complete rear hump for the tail light and the license plate bracket, then I mounted the tail and took a then piece of a flat trash can and used it to fill back in the gap. It works great, I'll get you some pic's once I put my fairings back on their getting painted right now.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by jveach
You have to cut out most of your stock undertail to make that racetech fit. I had to do the same thing to mount my Hotbodies super sport tail.

I cut off the complete rear hump for the tail light and the license plate bracket, then I mounted the tail and took a then piece of a flat trash can and used it to fill back in the gap. It works great, I'll get you some pic's once I put my fairings back on their getting painted right now.
Name:  1ab1ddf9.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  39.3 KB
I'm thinking after looking at a few F4i threads that I should cut right after those hook looking things.. I'll do that this weekend and post pix of how I go about the fender elimination.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Acespad3

I'm thinking after looking at a few F4i threads that I should cut right after those hook looking things.. I'll do that this weekend and post pix of how I go about the fender elimination.

Correct! It's pretty easy to do

I used the little 3 inch l.e.d light strips they sale at Advance auto to work as my turn signals. It was easy to do, they mount by sticker and seem to hold great (worked all summer long, no problems) and simple to wire in. I just stuck them under the tail on each side of the light.

Also If you cut it right you will leave a thick plastic spot in the old undertail, which makes a great place to put the license plate.

Not the greatest pic, but its the best I can do right now till my bike is all back together sometime next week

turn signals where not on it the photo, but they are on the flat lip on both side's of the taillights

Last edited by jveach; 02-11-2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: edited photo link
Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 PM

I found a link that might help anyone looking to do any tail swaps or custom fender eliminations.

http://www.hotbodiesracing.com/installdocs/48.pdf

I'll be using this tomorrow to get everything lined up just right before I make the cuts

Old 02-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The main thing you that you don't want to do is cut off those rear inner fender mounting points against the subframe. 'Cause if you do, you'll have to tap & screw farther inside the subframe or secure the inner fender in some other fashion.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My CBRF4 so far..