CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

New bike, tail light and blinker problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bike, tail light and blinker problem.

Hey all,

I just purchased my first Honda CBR this weekend. Its a 2000 F4, my second bike. So far everything seems pretty good but one thing concerns me. It seems as though the back blinkers were removed and integrated into the taillight. However only one bulb illuminates. The bulb that should light up when you press the brakes does not light up, which means the right side blinker does not light up either.

It seems as though the previous owner used the stock taillight and integrated turn signals because I do not think the tail light itself is after market. Is it possible to integrate turn signals into the stock tail light?

Also, it seems as though the other light bulb is in the housing, but there is nothing plugged into it. The white colored plug clip that connects the bulb is missing all together and there is just a stray wire.

I ordered a used wiring harness off of ebay and it should be here before the weekend. Will it be hard for me to un install what ever mess is in there now and put the new wiring harness back in? My plan is to do this and get some after market back blinkers. Would this be the best way to go or does anyone have any other advice? Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 AM

anyone at all?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum & congrats on your bike.

From your description, I'm unclear...

You need to actually determine if the tail light *is* or *is not* integrated.
Is the one operable bulb actually serving as both brake & turn signal??? If so, then yes, it sounds like its an integrated tail light. If not, then it sounds like the previous owner simply wasn't using turn signals or removed them for whatever reason.

Make sure the inoperable bulb is still a good bulb. Take it out & put it in the operable bulb's slot & check.

If the inoperable bulb still has its housing w/ its metal 3-prong plug, you can wire directly to that w/ the three wires from the wiring harness that are supposed to go to it...even if the plastic clip is gone. Then, it should work. If its been integrated w/ some sort of conversion, there's no way to know how its been done unless you can figure it out from the operable light & do the same w/ inoperable bulb.

Is it possible that the rear signal wires are still back there? If so, then all you have to do is install new rear signals & wire them up.

As for the replacement harness... Yes, you can cut all the messed up electrical spaghetti from back there if you can't repair or figure it out. Just be sure to make thorough & properly secured & insulated connections. There are links to factory service manuals here on the forum that can help you as well.

Good luck. Hope you're able to get it all figured out w/o too much difficulty.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Welcome to the forum & congrats on your bike.

From your description, I'm unclear...

You need to actually determine if the tail light *is* or *is not* integrated.
Is the one operable bulb actually serving as both brake & turn signal??? If so, then yes, it sounds like its an integrated tail light. If not, then it sounds like the previous owner simply wasn't using turn signals or removed them for whatever reason.

Make sure the inoperable bulb is still a good bulb. Take it out & put it in the operable bulb's slot & check.

If the inoperable bulb still has its housing w/ its metal 3-prong plug, you can wire directly to that w/ the three wires from the wiring harness that are supposed to go to it...even if the plastic clip is gone. Then, it should work. If its been integrated w/ some sort of conversion, there's no way to know how its been done unless you can figure it out from the operable light & do the same w/ inoperable bulb.

Is it possible that the rear signal wires are still back there? If so, then all you have to do is install new rear signals & wire them up.

As for the replacement harness... Yes, you can cut all the messed up electrical spaghetti from back there if you can't repair or figure it out. Just be sure to make thorough & properly secured & insulated connections. There are links to factory service manuals here on the forum that can help you as well.

Good luck. Hope you're able to get it all figured out w/o too much difficulty.
Thanks for the reply and the information. Its greatly appreciated. To clarify it is definitely an integrated tail light, but its a bit strange because I thought most were LED and this one is not. It has the two separate bulbs. The connector going from the wiring harness to the right bulb seems to be completely missing.

This is my solution. I just bought a new wiring harness and a new aftermarket integrated tail light. I plan on just pulling out the old tail light and the old wiring harness mess and just starting from scratch. I was to put in the new tail light by myself because I know I'll probably do a little bit better job than the PO.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chrislen32
This is my solution. I just bought a new wiring harness and a new aftermarket integrated tail light. I plan on just pulling out the old tail light and the old wiring harness mess and just starting from scratch. I was to put in the new tail light by myself because I know I'll probably do a little bit better job than the PO.
Sounds like a plan. Hope your install goes well.