CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

looking at a cbr but need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a cbr but need some advice

So im looking to buy my first bike and its a 2000 cbr600.it looks really clean... its got 15k miles, new tires and brakes and says its always been garage stored etc......he wants 3000 for it....is this a fair price for this bike? and what are some other things i should be asking and/or looking for? thanks in advance for the help guys

Old 03-09-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by jwhitco1
So im looking to buy my first bike and its a 2000 cbr600.it looks really clean... its got 15k miles, new tires and brakes and says its always been garage stored etc......he wants 3000 for it....is this a fair price for this bike? and what are some other things i should be asking and/or looking for? thanks in advance for the help guys
If it is indeed in good condition visually, good tire life, good chain life left, good brake life, starts up fine, idles fine, runs fine, with a clean title (not reconstructed) then its a good deal. Ask him to pull a spark plug for you, if it is not clean/tan and either white or dark, I'd ask him to knock off at least 250 for a carb cleaning/tuning

Blue book is around 2500, so if you can get a bike with everything on it new, plus a bike that runs properly and has the carbs tuned properly, the extra 500 is worth it. If you are going to run into issues of having to clean/tune carbs, and buy a bunch of crap for it, I wouldn't pay 3000

Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 PM

thanks alot man when i talk to the seller il make sure to take into account what you have told me..one more noob question, is fuel injection that much better than a carb? is riding a bike with a carb today a hassle or no?

Last edited by jwhitco1; 03-09-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: easier question
Old 03-11-2011, 02:10 AM

i'd shoot him $2500... I paid 2800 for mine with 14k on the clock..

Carbs are not a hassle just require more periodic maintenance... but ultimately you can make more power with carbs Don't let anyone tell ya different. Carbs are more sensitive to climate changes such as temperature and humidity... which can make the bike seem finicky... mine tends too want bog when it's cold out if i don't slip the clutch above 2500, but it pulls like the dickens after that...

Old 03-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jwhitco1
jwhitco1, welcome to the forum. Buyer's questions pop up here quite often. Do yourself a favor do searches for "buyer's guide", etc, here on the forum. You'll find all sorts of recommendations. Also, you can google "motorcycle buyer's guide" & you'll find lots.

Do your research & homework as to what to look for & how to look for it. The more you know - the better. Taking a knowledgeable friend w/ you to look at a bike is recommended as well. Even if you are well prepared, its always good to have a second pair of eyes to look at a bike.

Unless you have experience & really know what you're doing, I always recommend that you ask the seller to meet you at a factory Honda shop to have the bike checked over. You'll pay the charge ($85-95) but the shop will let you know of any repairs required or other needs the bike may have. This benefits you as a prospective buyer in giving you peace of mind in knowing exactly what you are getting. Also, it benefits the seller b/c he gets a free inspection.

FWIW, KBB for a 2000 F4 is approx $2,565. This value assumes excellent condition & avg mileage. Part of excellent condition is having good tires, good brakes, etc. No additional value can be added for those unless they are upgrades...like Brembo brake setups, etc. You can add value for "extras" like suspension upgrades, exhaust upgrades, etc. Those values are determined by you & the seller.

Don't rush into anything. Do your due diligence & be a responsible buyer. You'll be happier in the long run w/a bike that has been taken care of & will give you lots of enjoyment. Is this particular bike the one that fits the bill?

Good luck.