CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Intro/ Problem solving thread..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro/ Problem solving thread..

Hi all. I picked up an F4 back in December and its finally coming together enough that i felt like sharing. I didnt take many pics along the way, but enough to show how far its come.

2000 CBR600, 26000 miles, assorted colors. Its got a couple mods, but i dont know enough about the F4 in stock form to really tell whats on it.

When i picked the bike up, it was in need of some help. It didnt run, covered in stickers, I think there were 3 appropriate fasteners holding the fairings on, the rest were zip ties or nothing at all.

Its for sure been dropped, theres some nasty rash on the exhaust pipe before the muffler, but no rash on the plastics. Maybe it was naked when it went down, i dunno...

I almost immediately stipped it down for paint. I have a degree in Automotive refinnishing, so i wasnt real troubled with the paintwork.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Nice! I always like seeing this paint booths set-up like that. Wish I had the knowledge/ time/ place to do something like that.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

welcome!

quite a project you got there, but looks like you have it under control. start a build thread to show off you work.

digging the paint booth as well!

good luck.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fatalmk1
...2000 CBR600, 26000 miles, assorted colors...
Good stuff. ;-)

We like rebuild/mod threads. Keep us updated. Hope all goes well.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 AM

Hmmm...there was another big long piece to my post, but i guess it didnt take...

I sprayed the bike in a semi gloss black, with gold accents. The bar ends, levers, windscreen bolts and some other pieces got painted gold.

Name:  IMG_20111127_171725.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  30.5 KB

Also painted the wheels gold, but i might go back to black. Maybe black with a gold stripe.

Name:  IMG_20120218_163811.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20120219_170153.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  112.6 KB

Love the way this things coming together

Name:  IMG_20111125_130519.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  55.1 KB

Heres a list of all the things ive done to the bike as of now:

Matte black paintjob with gold accents
Replaced all fairing bolts with black powdercoated pieces
chopped levers down into shortys
modded, installed a bushing on the clutch lever to tighten it up
cleaned/lubed throttle cable and tube. adjusted slack to fix the sticky throttle
cleaned/resoldered some contacts in the kill switch
tinted windscreen was cracked, so i cut it down to stop it from cracking further
flushed brake fluid front and rear
installed signal mirrors
installed bubble signals
fabricated rear brake pivot, OEM piece was missing
installed new rear brake switch for the aftermarket rearset
cleaned/painted/installed stator cover
ran new 14ga wiring from stator to R/R
installed new MOSFET style R/R
re-retrofitted integrated brake light
recovered seat

I think thats about it....

ALSO! I solved a hot stumble issue. Heres my story..

Im a new rider, so ive been slowly increasing the distance of my trips, just getting used to the bike and being in traffic. Last friday, i decided it was a good day to ride to work. Choke on, bike starts and runs. Get the choke off, bike revs with a little hiccup, figure its still just getting its **** together. Warms up, rides just fine. Get about halfway there and noticed a stumble on takeoff. At this point it been at operating temp for 20 minutes or so. Hobble the bike to work, and about the same thing happens afterwards on the ride home. Warms up, runs for 20 minutes, starts cutting out and stumbling.

Looking at the diagrams, theres a circuit that runs through the stop switch and powers the coils, fuel pump, air valve, and some other branches. Black/white wire... The other day i got the bike up to temp, let it get hot, let the fan cycle a few times until the hot stumble came back. Battery voltage was at 13.8, voltage on the Black/white wire was 12.3. Weird. I ran a jumper from the battery to that black/white wire and the stumble went away immediately. Idle smoothed out, revs were more stable, rides smoother.

Unfortunately, giving 12V to that wire effectively bypasses the kill switch, so i can do that. Im thinking maybe i can use the original wire to trigger a relay to supply what that circuit needs. Ill post up what i find out. Important thing is that upping the voltage on that circuit seems to fix the hot stall/stumble issue for me.

Ok..theres a second part to that, but its not posting. TEST

Last edited by Sprock; 05-04-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 AM

I remember seeing another thread on here about a voltage drop on a wire causing some issues with another rider. I think I've got some similar issue going on, but so slightly that I thought I was just imagining it. My bike will hesitate at low RPM (like just rolling the throttle from idle at a stop light) when its good an hot, like you, after riding for about 30 mins. Only does it for a second or two, then clears up. I thought I was just not giving it enough gas when I let the clutch out. Mine only seems to do it when the fan is running, and I usually run with my high beam on (f4i dual headlights), so I'm thinking its a voltage issue on mine as well.

Where did you jump extra power onto that circuit? Fuse panel?

Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM

the wire i plugged into is under the seat, going into a relay i think..though im not sure why. theres two bl/w wires going into the same terminal, i just found the voltage to be lower than it should be so i jumpered it. looking at the wiring guide, i see that i tapped in after the kill switch, so itll just keep running until the jumper wires unplugged.