06RR Problem Solving!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06RR Problem Solving!

So I was in heavy stop-and-go traffic and my bike got up to about 256 degrees. Oil light came on, temp gauge was flashing, naturally I turned the bike off at the longest red light in Jakconville. Cool.

Turn it back on?
NOPE F ya **** AMotoVlogger, battery is dead.
Well damn, I was like 4 miles from home, so I got to pushin. Luckily about a mile down, a truck stopped and the guy brought me home

So I thought it was the battery, obviously, but after further research online, I noticed a lot of people still having the same problem after getting a new battery so I figured it's just the regulator rectifier--$50 shipped--ugh.

Now, I know this is the problem, but can anyone confirm any other necessary changes to be made alongside the new R/R? Should I change the oil, coolant flush? I'm going to test out the battery tomorrow to see if it's fried (or unusable) and decide on getting a new one.

So... should I take the safe route and flush out oil and coolant while the R/R is in the mail? 'Preciate the help

Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 AM

no need to do anything but fit the new R/R and charge the battery on a battery tender while you wait.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can test to see if the battery is charging by using a multimeter. Start the engine, rev it to 2500 rpm and see if the voltage at the battery terminals is at least 13.5V.

If it passes that test rev it to 5000 rpm. It should be less than 14.8V. If it also passes that test then the charging system is fine. If either of those two tests fail you can further diagnose the problem with the flowchart troubleshooting guide at the link below.

Fault Finding Flow Chart for Motorcycle Charging Systems

As far as when to change the oil and coolant, how long has it been and how many miles since they were last changed?

Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
You can test to see if the battery is charging by using a multimeter. Start the engine, rev it to 2500 rpm and see if the voltage at the battery terminals is at least 13.5V.

If it passes that test rev it to 5000 rpm. It should be less than 14.8V. If it also passes that test then the charging system is fine. If either of those two tests fail you can further diagnose the problem with the flowchart troubleshooting guide at the link below.

Fault Finding Flow Chart for Motorcycle Charging Systems

As far as when to change the oil and coolant, how long has it been and how many miles since they were last changed?
I just bought the battery, R/R is in the mail. I took it to O'Reillys and they said the battery only had a charge of 21% and it was kinda fried.

The thing is, I just bought the bike and it ran fine until yesterday

I was planning on doing an oil change and coolant flush this weekend, but atm, the oil looks fine and coolant is a bit over half full so I don't know if it's really worth it.

Originally Posted by youngy
no need to do anything but fit the new R/R and charge the battery on a battery tender while you wait.
Cool beans! Thanks so much!

Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Put the battery in and test the charging system, your r/r may be fine. I don't recall seeing too many r/r problems on a 600rr, mostly on older F bikes.

The battery you got may need an initial charge. Consult the directions that came with it.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Put the battery in and test the charging system, your r/r may be fine. I don't recall seeing too many r/r problems on a 600rr, mostly on older F bikes.

The battery you got may need an initial charge. Consult the directions that came with it.
Just checked it out. It's ready to go. I checkout out my R/R also and it was faulty in one of the grounds, so I suppose I've isolated the problem. I'm waiting for the new one to get in the mail.

Any possibility it could be the stator? And if so, how can I check?

Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Check each of the stator wires for continuity to each other and no continuity to ground.
A bad stator will either have a broken winding or be shorted to ground.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AMV_ridesAcbr
Any possibility it could be the stator? And if so, how can I check?
The link to the troubleshooting guide that I posted yesterday tells how to check for a defective stator.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
The link to the troubleshooting guide that I posted yesterday tells how to check for a defective stator.
gotcha. Thank you!!!

Old 11-30-2013, 05:48 PM

UPDATE:

Changed the R/R and put in new battery, bike runs like a champ. Much better than before.
Also did an oil change (just to be 100% sure) but didn't flush coolant, coolant was actually about 85ish% full o_o
Oh, perhaps I should mention it was an 2006 600RR if anyone searches.
Thanks all for the input and help!

Quick Reply: 06RR Problem Solving!