CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

How to Replace your Stator

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Replace your Stator

I'm not replacing my stator in this How To but am replacing the cover. You will replace your stator the exact same way though.

This is my stator cover from dropping my bike on it a few times. You can see my frame slider has a bunch of nics in it.

First thing your gona do is unplug the stator from the wire harness. The lightblue arrow points to were the plug is. The yellow line is the actual wire from inside the stator cover to the harness. You dont need to take the gas tank off to unplug it. Its not that deep into the darkness. Next, unscrew all the bolts. I unscrew them from bottem to top so I dont have to hold on to the cover until the last bolt. You'll probably need to wiggle and pull on the cover to break the seal.
Name:  PICT0043-1.jpg
Views: 7112
Size:  81.3 KB

Cover is off. That green lining around the cover is the gasket. Its not metal its like a paper. The wheel in the middle is the stator itself. Its screwed in by 4 allen type screws. You'll need an allen wrench to unscrew them. There is a single bolt to the left that screws down a metal strip that holds down the stator wire to the inside of the cover. Unscrew that and the wire will come loose and the stator will come off the cover now. There is a metal shaft that the arrow points to. That should go to the stater reduction gear which is to the top right of the fly wheel. Pull it out of the cover and push that back in to the stater reduction gear before you put the cover back on.
Name:  PICT0044-1.jpg
Views: 5283
Size:  67.8 KB

Heres my new cover I got off ebay for $25 that someone painted grey and gasket.
Name:  PICT0042-1.jpg
Views: 4037
Size:  46.3 KB

At this time I put the stator into my new cover. Just align the stator screw holes and make sure you put the stator wire closest to the grommet on the cover and screw the stator down. Screw down the metal piece that holds the wire down to the cover. I applyed a high temp silicon to the wire gromment to seal it. This pic show that. Then just fit it into the gromment area on the cover and let it dry.
Name:  PICT0046-1.jpg
Views: 4014
Size:  48.3 KB

Heres the stator in my new cover. Make sure you put the stater reduction shaft back in to the stater reduction gear before you put the cover back on. There are holes in the cover which I circled green. Align one to the stater reduction shaft and one to another shaft at the bottem. It gets kinda tricky at this point because the stator will magnetize to the fly wheel and your trying to align the holes to the shafts while holding onto the gasket. Took me a few trys to get it right. After you get that just bolt it back on and reconnect the stator to the wire harness.
Name:  PICT0054-3.jpg
Views: 5671
Size:  55.3 KB

Done
Name:  PICT0055.jpg
Views: 4140
Size:  71.3 KB

Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Default RE: How to Replace your Stator

Good write up man. My cover was scratched up when I got the bike and I did not feel like taking it off the I grinded all the damage off and then masked it off and paited in on the bike with a high temp silver and it looks good. ifthe the plastics off you can see where I had to tape, but with eveything on it's looks perfect.

So I take it that the sliders don't really save the cover that well.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 AM

My bike was dropped too and the strator cover got scratched up as did thesliders...guess the slider did not protectmine either...but my sliders are not that long either...[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 01-17-2008, 06:21 PM

so than i guess its really not all that great as people make it sound that sliders save the bike

Old 06-24-2008, 01:11 PM

I'm guessing because its a paper gasket I definitely need to get a new one? I bought the stator and was about to do this tonight, but I didn't think of the gasket. If it doesn't tear is it alright to put it back on or should I wait the extra month it will probably take to get the gasket since everything I want seems to go on back order.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered Users

You are not going to get the gasket off. Get a new one. If your bike is on the kick stand you will loose some oil too. Put a pan under it. I did this Sat. and I had to move the tank up to undo a plastic tie thats on the frame to get more room. Make sure you have a high quality allen too. My stator bolts were in there!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:14 PM

The paper gasket is going to tear when you take the cover off. You could use some silicon instead of a gasket as a sealent.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:02 PM

i did exactly what u did when I replaced the cover. however the bike isn't starting? did you run into this problem. it makes a noise but no start, are there torque settings i should be concerned with?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 PM

Sounds like it has nothing to do with your stator then. Your bike can still run even if you dont have a stator. Torque everything down hand tight then give it an extra turn with a wrench. There are no moving parts thats you are screwing in so its best to just hand tighten them so you dont break any heads off.