F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Scratched Stator Cover, need to replace it, and I need a couple pointers please

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched Stator Cover, need to replace it, and I need a couple pointers please

04 CBR 600 F4i

do i need to drain the oil before taking the cover off or can the oil stay as long as the bike hasnt been started in a while?
is there a place where i can get a cheap gasket?
will i need a sealer when putting in a new gasket?

i plan on buying a "cbr" engraved aluminum over...im starting to take apart the bike while its sitting in my garage for the winter and im trying to fix all the little stupid issues i have (like this scratched cover). im only asking these questions because im new to the bike game and i know there are paople on here with vast knowledge of bikes. thanks guys/girls.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Default RE: Scratched Stator Cover, need to replace it, and I need a couple pointers please

You don't have to drain the oil b4 changing the stator cover, but if you do drain the oil then have someone hold the bike tilting the stator cover up you should only have a little bit of oil run out (a couple teaspoons) when you remove the cover. You might need to use a screw driver or something to pry the cover off because of the powerful magnet inside, just be careful not to scratch anything. I don't know where you can get a cheap gasket. I was able to pick one up at a local bike shop which was about half of what two local Honda dealers wanted. I honestly don't remember if you need to use sealant or not. It's been a while since I changed mine. Hope this helps.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Scratched Stator Cover, need to replace it, and I need a couple pointers please

Yes, use a sealant. Yes, drain the oil.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:48 PM

I just did mine about 6 months ago. you do NOT need sealant and you do NOT need to drain the oil. But you might as well do a quick oil change while you do this or it could get a little messy. Be careful of the little reduction gear that will pop out when you take the old stator off. Just make sure you put some oil on the reduction gear shaft before you put it back in. It’s not a hard job, you will figure it out.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:02 PM

I stand corrected.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:26 PM

thanks for the help, guys.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:24 PM

So were you able to replace it w/o draining the oil?

How about the clutch side, anyone know if this can be done too?

Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 PM

Here's a couple screen shots from the service manual. Best thing to do would be to buy/download a service manual - just do a search for it...

Old 11-09-2006, 05:54 PM

Jaybird180 - for the clutch side you definately need to drain the oil, but there is no gasket to worry about replacing. Here's a few points to remember:

Apply sealant on the crankcase 1/2" above and below the crankcase mating surfaces
Apply sealant around the entire clutch cover
Be sure to ensure that the lifter arm engages the clutch
Tighten the bolts in the prescribed fashion

Here's a couple screen shots from the service manual...