CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

How hot(temp) do your bikes get

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hot(temp) do your bikes get

When I am riding sometimes the bike's temp stays above the the middle of the temp guage like 6/8th up. Is the bike running way too warm or is it a normal temp that it is running at. The bike usually gets to that high temp during city riding. What are some of the remedy, the Fan do work and come on by itself. Do yo u think it is coolant maybe?

Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Default RE: How hot(temp) do your bikes get

Redo your coolant and make sure you don't get any air bubbles. The method I used when refilling my coolant was to fill the radiator to the top, close the cap, unbolt the reservoir from the engine, elevate the reservoir above the radiator, turn the bike on, fill the reservoir, rev the bike some so the air bubbles rise, and kept repeating filling the reservoir and revving the bike till the coolant did not drain from the reservoir anymore.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:04 PM

now when you mean Fill the reservoir, does it mean that I pour coolant in the reservoir to fill it up or do I let the engine get coolant in the reservoir?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:15 PM

ORIGINAL: 2full2ride

When I am riding sometimes the bike's temp stays above the the middle of the temp guage like 6/8th up.
Lowest terms?!

Really though, a lot of the bike temperature has to do with the air temperature outside. If it's hot outside, the bike will run hot, and vice-versa. I was riding through the mountains of West Virginia a week ago at night for a few hours and it was only about 50 degrees (F) out, so combine that with the fact that I was cruising at about 75 (so there's some "wind chill" that makes it even colder than 55) and the bike temperature stayed well below 4/8.

Even in hot weather though, the airflow will help keep it a bit cooler, which is why your fan will come on during stop and go city riding. Stopping at stop lights, even for just a few seconds, cuts the airflow so the fan will kick on to compensate. I don't think 3/4 is a problem, especially with city riding. If it NEVER goes below 3/4 the whole time you're riding, even while cruising at highway speeds for an extended period of time, then get concerned.

Just my .02.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:18 AM

I just moved to Phoenix and caught the *** end of the really hot weather not to long ago. My temp in the city when the heat is upwards to 110 is pretty high. The needle doesn't go past the 3/4 mark even while I have been sitting at traffic light that doesn't go green for me for a long time. But when I'm going down I-17 at 90mph it sits at about half-way or a little below. Again this is all in 110 degree heat. Thats pretty hot. Just last week I took a ride to cali and went in through San Diego. When I started hitting the cooler weather the needle was way below half-way.

I guess I'm just re-iterating what nograv1 was saying. I just wanted to tell you what my experience was in a worse case hot scenario and how my bike has reacted to it. Alright then I hopes this helps take it easy!

~Dan

Old 09-20-2008, 09:26 PM

I wish my bike stayed 6/8th on the temp gauge. Mine will hit red and overheat if I am in heavy traffic if I dont keep turnig it off at lights to let the fan cool it down. I am pretty sure my thermostat must be jammed tho, fingers crossed that it fixes my problem....its on order.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 PM

would u use engine ice to cool bike downb?

Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: 2full2ride

now when you mean Fill the reservoir, does it mean that I pour coolant in the reservoir to fill it up or do I let the engine get coolant in the reservoir?
You fill it up.