CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Head gasket :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks dean0!

Looking at that picture the gasket is far to thick to fit in the connection. Looks like I need to do some fiddling!

Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 PM

Good luck in sorting out your exhaust
and maybe it will shed light on my similar problem

Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Ha! Lets hope so!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:17 AM

Afternoon,

Finally got round to tightening the exhaust downpipe bolts... 4 were a little loose so im happy with that.

Check the vid for one of the other noises the bike makes...

Noise happens at 5k rpm. Although the gauge shows the bike warm, this noise is not present after a ride around 25miles.

It also makes a tap at 3k on the overrun when its bone cold.

Classic cct? Or the cam chain itself?

Once this is sorted all that is needed is a carb sync!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Ps....

Cjardine... check out my makeshift mechanic stephoscope (the yellow hose on the floor)! Haha

Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Originally Posted by Fryup2000
Ps....

Cjardine... check out my makeshift mechanic stephoscope (the yellow hose on the floor)! Haha
Yea! I just put on a new set of headers on and was hunting down an exhaust leak before I wrap them, I didn't have a tube, so I grabbed the old midpipe and stuck that to my ear, it worked!

Old 08-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Hi all look what arrived in the post this week...

Name:  20130803_112501_zpsa9899eab.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  66.3 KB

For those of you in the UK I purchased both CCT and gasket from here...

www.davidsilverspares.co.uk

I managed to get out in the garage today and fit it, took me about 2 hours but could have been quicker if I wanted. This is my first bike and the first Job I haven't paid a shop to do and after fitting it... I recommend anyone thinking of fitting it themselves to do it. It was very easy but very fiddly. Just be patient!

The guide I used to do it was this...

guide

It's for an f4i but still works. It took me 15mins to get the fairing off and raise the tank (didn't need to remove it or move it to the side). It took me about half hour to get the harness plug off but once I found the clip it came straight off. I managed to get to both bolts from above and didn't drop anything!

Name:  20130803_112516_zpsb84d698e.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  73.2 KB

All you need to remember is not to move the chain or rear wheel once you have removed the CCT.

Name:  20130803_123631_zps96d81da2.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  92.8 KB

Old one on the left and new one on the right.

Put it all back together and the results are fantastic. The bike made rattles or taps in all sorts of circumstances (under acceleration at 5k rpm, on the overrun at 3k rpm when cold and at idle when both hot and cold). All taps sounded different and sounded like they were coming from different areas of the top end. All have been removed now that the new CCT has been fitted!

Part numbers for those of you interested...

Name:  20130803_150958_zps8a1a0ef8.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  70.0 KB

Top is the gasket and bottom is the CCT. The metal key is what is in the end of the CCT when it is delivered, just remove it when the CCT is fitted to your bike and replace with the cap bolt on the old one.

Anyway, enough of the good stuff.

Also in the week my front fender cracked and then snapped on the way home so rattles like crazy. A friend is hopefully getting me one this weekend as second hand they seem to be hard to find here in the UK.

When I got back from my test ride today (in monsoon conditions) my foot unfortunately slipped off the centre stand when I was putting it in the garage. I would say I dropped it but I prefer to say "gained the strength of a man twice my size and laid it gently on the floor". Couldn't believe it. Once I got it up, the crash bobbin had a scratch and there is some very minor scratches on the right fairing. Engine wasn't running so hopefully I have gotten away quite lucky. The bike wouldn't start and I was getting ready to smash it to pieces when I noticed that I must have hit the engine kill switch by accident when I was picking her up! Starts fine and can't see or hear any damage (phew!).

Next thing to do is acquire the front fender and look at new exhausts. My microns days are numbered and needs replacing soon!

In summary: if your capable, replace the CCT yourself... If your wet, make sure the sole of your boot is dry before you try to put the bike on the centre stand!

Last edited by Fryup2000; 08-04-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:54 PM

I've been taking the old one apart to see why they fail so consistently.... I can't really figure it out but have an inkling the spring inside looses tension hence failing to deploy the central shaft bit to the correct pressure. I can take pics of it in pieces if anybody is interested. If it is the spring, why don't people replace that rather than the whole unit?!

Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Hi all look what arrived in the post this week...

For those of you in the UK I purchased both CCT and gasket from here...

www.davidsilverspares.co.uk

I managed to get out in the garage today and fit it, took me about 2 hours but could have been quicker if I wanted. This is my first bike and the first Job I haven't paid a shop to do and after fitting it... I recommend anyone thinking of fitting it themselves to do it. It was very easy but very fiddly. Just be patient!

The guide I used to do it was this...

guide

It's for an f4i but still works. It took me 15mins to get the fairing off and raise the tank (didn't need to remove it or move it to the side). It took me about half hour to get the harness plug off but once I found the clip it came straight off. I managed to get to both bolts from above and didn't drop anything!

All you need to remember is not to move the chain or rear wheel once you have removed the CCT.

Old one on the left and new one on the right.

Put it all back together and the results are fantastic. The bike made rattles or taps in all sorts of circumstances (under acceleration at 5k rpm, on the overrun at 3k rpm when cold and at idle when both hot and cold). All taps sounded different and sounded like they were coming from different areas of the top end. All have been removed now that the new CCT has been fitted!

Part numbers for those of you interested...

Top is the gasket and bottom is the CCT. The metal key is what is in the end of the CCT when it is delivered, just remove it when the CCT is fitted to your bike and replace with the cap bolt on the old one.

Anyway, enough of the good stuff.

Also in the week my front fender cracked and then snapped on the way home so rattles like crazy. A friend is hopefully getting me one this weekend as second hand they seem to be hard to find here in the UK.

When I got back from my test ride today (in monsoon conditions) my foot unfortunately slipped off the centre stand when I was putting it in the garage. I would say I dropped it but I prefer to say "gained the strength of a man twice my size and laid it gently on the floor". Couldn't believe it. Once I got it up, the crash bobbin had a scratch and there is some very minor scratches on the right fairing. Engine wasn't running so hopefully I have gotten away quite lucky. The bike wouldn't start and I was getting ready to smash it to pieces when I noticed that I must have hit the engine kill switch by accident when I was picking her up! Starts fine and can't see or hear any damage (phew!).

Next thing to do is acquire the front fender and look at new exhausts. My microns days are numbered and needs replacing soon!

In summary: if your capable, replace the CCT yourself... If your wet, make sure the sole of your boot is dry before you try to put the bike on the centre stand!
Well done on replacing the CCT and good to read it got rid of a lot of your unwanted noises!

I may look into mine at the end of the year after I have sorted out my bigger project of house buying and moving which will put a stop to all my tinkering for now.

I am moving much further from work and may even have to think of downgrading to a smaller bike for awhile.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:43 PM

I've been taking the old one apart to see why they fail so consistently.... I can't really figure it out but have an inkling the spring inside looses tension hence failing to deploy the central shaft bit to the correct pressure. I can take pics of it in pieces if anybody is interested. If it is the spring, why don't people replace that rather than the whole unit?!
I expect that is/was the problem and have read there have been many revision to the CCT before they got it right, or at least last a decent amount of time before failing.