CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Head gasket :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket :(

Hi people I'm stressed and need advice!

A week ago I took my bike to the shop to get a new rear tyre, rear brake pads and a new chain and sprocket. £350 later I'm told I need a new steering head bearing and my rocker cover is leaking oil.

I thought I would nip this in the bud straight away so had the bike booked in to get the work done.

On the Friday I pay my £240 and pick the bike up. That evening I notice the bike backfiring on engine breaking, it's leaking more oil than before and it's idling lower.

I take the bike straight back convinced that they haven't done something properly.

I've just got off the phone and they tell me I have a blown head gasket. They are currently drawing up an invoice for how much. I'm gutted.

My questions are....

Has the gasket blown because of something they have done? Or is it coincidence? I'm not that experienced with bike engines so the shop could sell me any old story.

Is it worth paying a large sum of money to fix? Bike has full service history and if it wasn't for the gasket would be in perfect condition

Thanks for any response.

Last edited by Fryup2000; 06-05-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Something sounds fishy.

Was only needing brakes and a tire when you brought it in. Bike ran fine.
They found a leaky cover gasket and steering bearings, and worked on it.
Now it runs terrible, immediately after.

I'd say the messed something up. I doubt it blew a head gasket. Probably mixed up a coil connection or something. If it is a head gasket, do you really want them to fix it?

Get your estimate, and take it elsewhere. If the real problem is related to the work they did, ask them to reimburse you the cost of fixing it.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the response. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is suspicious.

I'm not that great at arguing over something I'm not sure on but I'm not happy at all.

Will see what they say tomorrow and have my argument then.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:49 PM

I am sorry to hear this. I found out with shops of you go in and fox everything the mention the list of things to fix never end. For example: my sister always went to the Honda dealer and would go for a oil change and come out with a 500$ bill. So I am technically good with good with cars. So I started asking to see the "issue" on her car. They not only " were incorrect" about her brake "issue" her car repair bills drastically dropped. I want a perfect running machine but I am not paying to fix BS that's made up. Hope that makes sense.

Now about bikes I am dumb I know the basics but that's it. I asked local bikers where they get work done. I found a guy who does work on the side in a shop he works for. He is very personal able and you tell he is a legit good guy. And that's who I have do my bike. I would ask around and see what local ppl say.

Hope your bike works out for the better keep us posted.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:55 PM

Check the basics first

OIL - is it still clean looking ? ( no mayonaise or water evident )

COOLANT - look at the header tank - is there any sign of oil in the water ?

Have ANOTHER garage do a compression test on the bike or have them TRY to synch the carbs.

Both will show up a blown head gasket.

Another possibility - they have made a piggs ear of the PAIR valve pipework - that adds air to the exhaust gas - that will cause popping on the overrun.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dean0
Check the basics first

OIL - is it still clean looking ? ( no mayonaise or water evident )

COOLANT - look at the header tank - is there any sign of oil in the water ?

Have ANOTHER garage do a compression test on the bike or have them TRY to synch the carbs.

Both will show up a blown head gasket.

Another possibility - they have made a piggs ear of the PAIR valve pipework - that adds air to the exhaust gas - that will cause popping on the overrun.
Thanks for the responses guys. I've taken it all in and here's my plan of attack...

1) get the quote and have an argument with the shop tomorrow
2) if I win they fix my bike (very unlikely I imagine)

3) if I'm not happy with the result...
4) my friend has offered to do a compression test to see if it really is the hg
5) if it is the hg... I've been recommended a small shop outside of town to get work done so will get them to give a third opinion and a quote.

6) if its not the head gasket... Looks like a second opinion from another shop!

I'm good with cars but I'm beginning to realise how much labour is on motorcycle repairs so will be looking to develop my skills!

You reckon a shop would let me work for free every Saturday morning? Sounds like a good deal to me!

Anyway, I'm off to cry myself to sleep. Will keep this thread updated.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 PM

Right, just got off the phone to the shop.

He reckons £360 - £560 depending on if the engine needs to be removed. He also mentioned it would be more if the head needed to be reskimmed.

Im going in on monday with a mechanic friend who is going to have a look at it and back me up.

The mechanic reckons that there should be no reason why the rocker cover and head gasket should leak at the same time. He said most likely is that somebody in the past has accidently loosened the cylinder head and caused all these issues.

Im not convinced, hence why hes left the fairings off and my friend is gonna have a look. I reckon they have messed something up.

Anyway, not picking it up til monday so just gonna have to find something else to do.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:16 PM

So let me get this right

The bike was running well but had some minor things to do on it.

These clowns take the bike in to do some work.

You get the bike back and it runs like crap.

Then they say it has killed its head gasket and want a fortune to fix it.

Hmmmmm - I would not let these clowns have a photo of my bike - let alone do any more work on it.
This stinks of taking the p*ss and blatant profiteering.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dean0
So let me get this right

The bike was running well but had some minor things to do on it.

These clowns take the bike in to do some work.

You get the bike back and it runs like crap.

Then they say it has killed its head gasket and want a fortune to fix it.

Hmmmmm - I would not let these clowns have a photo of my bike - let alone do any more work on it.
This stinks of taking the p*ss and blatant profiteering.

The bike had a minor oil leak which they identified as the rocker cover gasket. After replacing that the bike leaks more oil, idles lower and backfires on engine breaking. Now they tell me it has a blown head gasket.

Im glad im not the only one that thinks the shop is bull****ting me. Now just got to figure out how to put forward a good argument. At the moment it just seems like my word against theirs.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

You need to fix it first, then you have the upper hand when you tell them that they screwed it up

Quick Reply: Head gasket :(