CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

exhaust and cct ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the OEM CCT is a hydrolic CCT then yes Dissevered is right about the oil pump problem, but if the OEM CCT is a automatic CCT that uses spring force like on a F3, then the OEM CCT is a perfectly fine replacement. I have an F3 and replaced my CCT with the OEM CCT and it works fine, and will continue to work fine until another 10 years go by and the spring loses force, this is because the OEM CCT does not depend on oil pressure like the F2 does. (I believe the F2 is a hydrolic CCT, dont qoute me on it, so someone that has a F2 correct me if i'm wrong please). I would google what type of CCT the F4 has, or ask around the forums.

I just took a look at the part Schematics for a 1994 CBR 600 F2 and one for a 1999 CBR 600 F4, and the are completely different CCTs, also the F4 CCT looks just like the F3 CCT, this is from the part scheatics not actually having them in hand. So I would same its a same bet that Honda kept the improvement of the Automatic CCT on the F4s. From where I stand, I say replace the CCT with either the OEM or with the APE, what ever your comfortable with.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Joe 96 CBR F3
If the OEM CCT is a hydrolic CCT then yes Dissevered is right about the oil pump problem, but if the OEM CCT is a automatic CCT that uses spring force like on a F3, then the OEM CCT is a perfectly fine replacement. I have an F3 and replaced my CCT with the OEM CCT and it works fine, and will continue to work fine until another 10 years go by and the spring loses force, this is because the OEM CCT does not depend on oil pressure like the F2 does. (I believe the F2 is a hydrolic CCT, dont qoute me on it, so someone that has a F2 correct me if i'm wrong please). I would google what type of CCT the F4 has, or ask around the forums.

I just took a look at the part Schematics for a 1994 CBR 600 F2 and one for a 1999 CBR 600 F4, and the are completely different CCTs, also the F4 CCT looks just like the F3 CCT, this is from the part scheatics not actually having them in hand. So I would same its a same bet that Honda kept the improvement of the Automatic CCT on the F4s. From where I stand, I say replace the CCT with either the OEM or with the APE, what ever your comfortable with.
True to an extent because I don't even know if the F4 is hydraulic... BUT...

Springs wear out, so what is the point? If they sold a chain that NEVER wore out, who the hell would buy the old chains? :P Not to mention, the OEM CCT probably costs the same or more knowing Honda. lol

If the OP is worried about his mechanical inclination, he should still buy the APE CCT and get it done at a shop. There is just no logical reason to buy an OEM CCT that can go bad again, when they make a CCT at a good price that will last forever.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
MZ5

If my bike needs a CCT at some point (I don't appear to have the rattling sound people here describe, despite having quite a few miles on my F4. How many? Aaahh! I can't remember! 12k? 16k? It's been winter too long! LOL ), I'll use the OEM unit. If it happens to be spring powered, I'll replace the spring. If it happens to be hydraulic, and replacing it doesn't fix the issue, I'll know that I've got some pretty serious wear somewhere inside my engine. Maybe only at the oil pump, but likely elsewhere, too. Maybe that'll make me think about a replacement oil pump, or maybe it won't, but it'll tell me something about engine condition that I didn't know before.

Good luck, OP!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by MZ5
If it happens to be hydraulic, and replacing it doesn't fix the issue, I'll know that I've got some pretty serious wear somewhere inside my engine. Maybe only at the oil pump, but likely elsewhere, too.

Really? Where?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots o bad advice here but oh well. And btw everyone...it's the "CCTL" ur wanting to say.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey
Lots o bad advice here but oh well. And btw everyone...it's the "CCTL" ur wanting to say.
Adding the L (for lifter) is too much work for me. Be glad I type you instead of U! Not to mention, its a stupid name given to the part. It doesn't lift anything, and it IS the device applying tension to the chain, unlike the actual CCT lol... Anyway.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
MZ5

Originally Posted by Dissevered

Really? Where?
Main, rod, and cam bearings come to mind first. You can't lose oil pressure over time without there being wear to account for it (unless you just never have changed your oil LOL), so please don't try to insinuate that you can. The notion that such wear is restricted to _only_ the oil pump is delusional, IME. Since you don't even know whether the F4's CCT is hydraulic or not, though, this seems fairly far afield now, don't you think? The APE is a billet aluminum part, vs. a polymer for the Honda unit, as I recall, which also brings tradeoffs in terms of what part(s) is/are wearing, and the impact of the different type of wear particles sloughing off inside the engine, but again that's a bit afield here.

Renewed good luck to you, OP! I suggest following gotcbr's advice to make your own decision.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by MZ5
Main, rod, and cam bearings come to mind first. You can't lose oil pressure over time without there being wear to account for it (unless you just never have changed your oil LOL), so please don't try to insinuate that you can. The notion that such wear is restricted to _only_ the oil pump is delusional, IME. Since you don't even know whether the F4's CCT is hydraulic or not, though, this seems fairly far afield now, don't you think? The APE is a billet aluminum part, vs. a polymer for the Honda unit, as I recall, which also brings tradeoffs in terms of what part(s) is/are wearing, and the impact of the different type of wear particles sloughing off inside the engine, but again that's a bit afield here.

Renewed good luck to you, OP! I suggest following gotcbr's advice to make your own decision.
You are kinda right... the bearings could be bad but you would notice it, and I sure as hell would not get another 25,000 miles out of it especially with a lot of those miles in the red line.

As for the F4 CCT being hydraulic or not doesn't matter. If its not hydraulic its still probably got a spring in it, and if the dudes went bad once, what is the point of buying it again when the manual one will not go bad.

As for APE getting particles in the engine, that is a little confusing seeing as how the lifter does not come in contact with any moving part.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, its just that some of you guys are saying stuff that makes no sense to me. When someone tells me that my engine needed a major overhaul 8 years and 25k ago, yet is running strong to this day, and to replace a wearable part with a the same part when there is a better choice, and to tell someone they need to be mechanically inclined to do a simple job... well it confuses me, and I like to argue when confused.