CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Newbie owner/rider, few questions! =)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie owner/rider, few questions! =)

Hey everyone,
I just purchased my first bike yesterday, which is a 99 CBR 600 f4 (hence why I'm posting here.)

Now my grandfather is a boss hog kinda guy, so he won't help me at all since I purchased a crotch rocket... And now I'm stuck learning everything on my own. Just a few questions I have about the bike, and riding in general. Before I get started, it has about 16k miles, one owner before me, purchased from a trusted dealer with everything necessary taken care of.

Anyways, I'm having trouble with starting the bike up. I started it and the first few times it idled low, about 1k or less. When I went to give it some throttle in neutral, the engine cut off. After this happened about 3 times (start, throttle, cut off, repeat), I started it and waited a while before the idle evened out around 2k, then I was alright with the throttle.
I walked it down a slight hill and turned it off to make sure it was okay starting up again. Went to turn it back on, and I could hear the engine trying to turn over but it wouldn't catch. Now when I hit the starter, it clicks. Dead/dying battery maybe? The instrument panel, and headlight still light up when I turn the ignition to the on position, but progressively get dimmer the longer I keep it on. After turning it off and on they return back to their original brightness, though.
Is there a fuel cut-off valve or something like that that may be preventing the fuel from reaching the carburator?

Also, on the side of the bike below the right handle bar (on the body of the bike), there are two rocker switches side-by-side in the plastic. I don't know if they are aftermarket installed switches by the previous owner or not, but they don't seem to do anything at all. Just curious about those. (I have a feeling they were for aftermarket lights or something like that)

Anyways, thank you everyone for your help in advance!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 PM

Ok, i'm not the greatest mechanic in the world either, like you i'm still learning, but the battery could be one thing, other then that, dirty carbs perhaps, in regards to a fuel valve, the only one i know of is underneath the tank, but if lights are dimming, then the battery is the first place to check, and also, if you can get hold of some WD-40 just go over any electronic switches/sockets.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/showpost....25&postcount=6

Here's a carb cleanup thread post i found a few days ago, for i was also considering doing a carb clean. Hope i was some help.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by trevor557
Hey everyone,
I just purchased my first bike yesterday, which is a 99 CBR 600 f4 (hence why I'm posting here.)

Now my grandfather is a boss hog kinda guy, so he won't help me at all since I purchased a crotch rocket... And now I'm stuck learning everything on my own. Just a few questions I have about the bike, and riding in general. Before I get started, it has about 16k miles, one owner before me, purchased from a trusted dealer with everything necessary taken care of.

Anyways, I'm having trouble with starting the bike up. I started it and the first few times it idled low, about 1k or less. When I went to give it some throttle in neutral, the engine cut off. After this happened about 3 times (start, throttle, cut off, repeat), I started it and waited a while before the idle evened out around 2k, then I was alright with the throttle.
I walked it down a slight hill and turned it off to make sure it was okay starting up again. Went to turn it back on, and I could hear the engine trying to turn over but it wouldn't catch. Now when I hit the starter, it clicks. Dead/dying battery maybe? The instrument panel, and headlight still light up when I turn the ignition to the on position, but progressively get dimmer the longer I keep it on. After turning it off and on they return back to their original brightness, though.
Is there a fuel cut-off valve or something like that that may be preventing the fuel from reaching the carburator?

Also, on the side of the bike below the right handle bar (on the body of the bike), there are two rocker switches side-by-side in the plastic. I don't know if they are aftermarket installed switches by the previous owner or not, but they don't seem to do anything at all. Just curious about those. (I have a feeling they were for aftermarket lights or something like that)

Anyways, thank you everyone for your help in advance!
Your bike is not like a fuel injected car/bike. You can't give it throttle right away. Put the choke on, start it, let it idle and get the fuel flowing. When the RPMS start to climb due to the choke being on, turn the choke off or reduce it at least. You should be able to give it some throttle now.

As for the battery, its dead. Motorcycles have small charging systems that don't kick in until around 4-5k RPMs... meaning turning it on and off while idling just kills your battery. You might be able to salvage the battery if you get it on a trickle charger.

A general rule of thumb with any vehicle, especially your bike, is to not start it without riding it long enough to get it to normal operating temperature.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
Your bike is not like a fuel injected car/bike. You can't give it throttle right away. Put the choke on, start it, let it idle and get the fuel flowing. When the RPMS start to climb due to the choke being on, turn the choke off or reduce it at least. You should be able to give it some throttle now.

As for the battery, its dead. Motorcycles have small charging systems that don't kick in until around 4-5k RPMs... meaning turning it on and off while idling just kills your battery. You might be able to salvage the battery if you get it on a trickle charger.

A general rule of thumb with any vehicle, especially your bike, is to not start it without riding it long enough to get it to normal operating temperature.
+1. Also in regards to your fuel cut off valve i'm not sure if the f4's have one but I know I have had problems with my F3's fuel cut relay. This could be a route worth looking into.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:20 PM

Just a guess, but this could be a combination of a weak battery and a failing fuel pump. Did the bike sit for a while before you purchased it? As suggested above, put the battery on a trickle charger/battery tender and see if that helps the cranking issue. A bad fuel pump can be intermittent... it will work/fail at random times.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 AM

I replaced the battery and hammered down on the choke, let off easy after it warmed up, which helped. It's idling around 1.4-1.5k which sounds healthy enough. Anything lower and it sounds like it's ready to die. Read another post and purchased a bottle of seafoam to add to it when I take it out, just haven't been having any good weather here in pennsylvania lately.
Thanks everyone for the help! =)