Old 09-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crappy idle, stumble on takeoff

I also have seafoam on the way :]
And a new air filter.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:12 PM

Id have to say the carb cleaning helped a ton. I also think some part may have been some bad gas. I cleaned the carbs including the idle jets, got fresh gas. Seems to run cooler, idle is alot smoother, dosnt bouce at all like the vid, and no more stumble on take-off. Drove it 50ish miles today in 80 degrees and it ran beautiful.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:43 PM

sweeet! It's nice when things turn out to be much more simple than I thought. It's usually the other way round and the simple stuff turns intoa long trouble shooting, head scratching, hair pulling,curse the gods type of problem!!! good luck with thngs sounds like you sorted things out as well.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 PM

I have this issue as well only in high heat and at a traffic stop.. some times i stall. I was told it was due to my custom exaust pipe.. who knows

Old 09-02-2007, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: travisgarrison

I filled up with premium last night, and I am going on a couple hour ride tomorrow, so we'll see what she does toward the end of the ride.
I always use premium.. why whould u use anything else :P

Old 09-02-2007, 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: qwerty

I have this issue as well only in high heat and at a traffic stop.. some times i stall. I was told it was due to my custom exaust pipe.. who knows
what do you mean by custom exhaust pipe do you mean an after market can or do you mean you have custom manifolds or some kind of custom one off exhaust system on your bike. unless you had an exhaust leak or it's notset up corectly ie; loose fitting or not re-jetted for that specifc type or aftermarket exhaust then it shouldn't be causing you any problems. From what I understand most slip-ons don't require re-jetting but I'm not positive and cert not an expert on the subject. regardless as I posted befor the seafoam has resolved my issue so you might want to give it a try B4 you go pulling off your exhaust. good luck with it though!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: dummber1

ORIGINAL: qwerty

what do you mean by custom exhaust pipe do you mean an after market can or do you mean you have custom manifolds or some kind of custom one off exhaust system on your bike. unless you had an exhaust leak or it's notset up corectly ie; loose fitting or not re-jetted for that specifc type or aftermarket exhaust then it shouldn't be causing you any problems. From what I understand most slip-ons don't require re-jetting but I'm not positive and cert not an expert on the subject. regardless as I posted befor the seafoam has resolved my issue so you might want to give it a try B4 you go pulling off your exhaust. good luck with it though!
Sorry didnt see the seafoam post. Yeah sorry its a slip on.. Some guy told me thatmy exaust makes the bike run hotter or some crap.. lol hence stall /sputter at light launch.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:35 PM

I had a similar issue (made a thread that is a few below this one), about a stumble mine was having. It is typically only noticible when its really hot outside. I have always ran 93 in this bike since thats what the previous owner said he ran. A few weeks ago we had a stretch of about 8-10 days where it was well over 100. Those days, I didnt know if I was going to be able to get the bike home or not. It would run/idle fine when I stopped, but as soon as I took off, it was like there was nothing there. I had to open the throttle almost halfway to keep the bike moving forward at all. Once it took I was almost riding a wheelie until I could throttle down quick enough. Once the bike got up in rpms, it ran perfectly fine. I did notice when it was stumbling like that, I could put the clutch in, hammer the throttle, and it seemed to clear it out. The cars behind me didnt appreciate the cloud of black smoke but if they wanted me moving it had to be done.
Last week I put 89 test in the bike, to try that. I read on here that some guys have had good luck with it, and it fixed similar problems to mine. Low and behold I have not had any real sputtering issues. I can still feel a slight hesitation the lower rpms, but that has always been there even after the carbs/jet/air filter were cleaned. Granted it has been a little cooler here mid 80s-mid 90s, but thats still pretty dang hot. I have noticed no issues with pinging or anything with the lower octane fuel. Ive ran almost 2 tanks through it, and am currently happy with how it is running. I can also put the clutch in, hammer the throttle, and the amount of smoke seen has almost been cut in half. It just makes me think that this bike was not jetted right or something, and it was just running insanely rich. The higher octane fuel might not have been burning as quick, so it was just building up causing the stumble/smoke.
I dont know, Im knew to bikes so does anyone think this is legit logic?

Old 09-04-2007, 05:00 PM

I never see any smoke no matter what gas i run[sm=smiley13.gif]

Old 09-04-2007, 06:12 PM

The octane thing from what I can remember is the higher the octane, the slower the burn. If the gas is not burning quick enough then it can flood the chamber and cause the stumbling/hesitation. A lower octane rating will burn a bit quicker in the engine and not cause it to "flood" itself.

Im sure its the same with bikes as it is with cars, but black smoke is typically from one ofa fewthings that I can think of...

a rich a/f mixture (in which the amount of fuel entering the chamber is too high for the amount of air in said chamber)
and excess carbon buildup from a rich a/f mixture
something in the carb(s) malfunctioning

Allof these are results of the a/f mixture so cutting back the amount of fuel in the chamber (jetting carbs) should remedy this. I just had my carbs and jets cleaned less than half a year ago, and I was told everything looked great, but I dont know. Something has to be odd for there still to be black smoke. I know in my thread someone had mentioned a float in the carb could be out of wack...

Im going to run a few more tanks of 89 through it. If I do not experience any detonation, I do not see a reason not to run it...

Quick Reply: Crappy idle, stumble on takeoff