CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Chain & sprocket kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain & sprocket kit

Can anyone suggest a decent chain and sprocket kit for my 600fx (1999),
had a DID X ring Gold last time and read about VX Gold's poor performance. Considering using Afam kit, any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sprocket Center - - give 'em a look. I've always had excellent service from them. There are several good options available.

I personally use either D.I.D or RK Gold chains. Both are factory Honda OEM suppliers.

Currently, I'm using D.I.D VM Gold Xring chains on my F4 & RC51 w/ steel OEM-sized sprockets.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced mine with a regular (non golden) DID kit and installed a Scottoiler V-System with dual injectors. It should last me a long time.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM
MZ5

My F4 chain has decided to keep some kinks all the time, so I need sprockets & chain, too.
Gotcbr, how many miles are you getting out of those chain/sprocket combos on your F4? And, of course, how do you ride it?
Do you have a strong preference between the RK XSO chain and the D.I.D. VM2?
I'm looking at one of the pre-packaged RK sprocket-chain combos that says it has a 20k mile warranty. I'm mainly a commuter, so I doubt I'll wear a chain out very fast, but I'd appreciate some independent input as to whether that lifespan is plausible. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MZ5
My F4 chain has decided to keep some kinks all the time, so I need sprockets & chain, too.
Gotcbr, how many miles are you getting out of those chain/sprocket combos on your F4? And, of course, how do you ride it?
Do you have a strong preference between the RK XSO chain and the D.I.D. VM2?
I'm looking at one of the pre-packaged RK sprocket-chain combos that says it has a 20k mile warranty. I'm mainly a commuter, so I doubt I'll wear a chain out very fast, but I'd appreciate some independent input as to whether that lifespan is plausible. Thanks.
I commute, ride twisties on wknds, & track. That's many K per yr.

I can't estimate what your individual wear results will be w/ any chain, b/c there are many factors that go into what that will be for each rider such as; his particular riding style, type of riding, & maintenance habits. Are you meticulous about chain maintenance? Do you do clean & lube it at proper intervals? Do you keep proper chain tension as a matter of weekly inspection? Personally, I’m meticulous about chain maintenance. So, I can only relay to you my experience.

As I said above, I'm currently using the D.I.D VM Gold Xring chains on my bikes (on steel sprockets) & prefer them over any other. They have proven track performance. In my experience, the D.I.D chains, compared to the RK equivalent, tend to get more mileage based on the same level of maintenance. That’s not to say that RK chains are not quality chains, they just don’t get the same degree of endurance as the D.I.D. Is that difference significant? To me it is. I want to get the maximum utility out of every product I use. If one product consistently displays better performance endurance than another, I will opt for it. Again, these are my observations & experience, having used both over the years.

Let me be clear, RK –are- quality chains. While I have used RK (they are OEM after all - along w/ D.I.D) when D.I.D isn't readily available, I prefer the D.I.D as my first choice & RK as my second.

As for the 20K mileage warranty you mention, as said above – whether you get that kind of mileage, its going to depend on your individual maintenance & riding style. However, that's a great warranty & would be a good incentive to buy the product.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 PM
MZ5

gotcbr said, "I'm currently using the D.I.D VM Gold Xring chains on my bikes (on steel sprockets) & prefer them over any other (emphasis added)."

Great, that's what I was wondering about; thank you.

Chain maintenance on street bikes is a learning experience for me, I'd say. I've maintained literally miles of chain on heavy ag equipment for many years, but that was never o-ring chain, and it was always in extreme dirt. A fair amount of dirt bike chain, too, of both o-ring and plain varieties. For the ag stuff, at least, the most cost-effective (including down-time to replace worn out or failed chains) maintenance routine anyone I knew ever found was to apply 90-wt. gear oil each day. We drenched 'em, actually. Coincidentally, I see that 80 or 90-wt. gear oil is also what Honda recommends, though not on a daily basis.