CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Carb Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carb Issue

Wow that is a wierd one. So it ran fine until immediately after your got it from the shop or had you taken it out a few times after you got it out of the shop?

Sears, advance auto or walmart all carry spark plug sockets...

I am still waiting on my backordered TPS sensor. According to the shop it was released from the factory yesterday so it should be in by the end of this week or early next week. I CAN'T WAIT!!! been 2 plus weeks now..

How many miles do you have on yours? If your up there in the 40k's like me and you haven't had the carbs cleaned in a while it would hurt to take a look.

Here's the link I used. https://cbrforum.com/m_311016/tm.htmThe bike did start up a little better after a thorough cleansing. They were pretty clean already but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:00 PM

I used a normal spark plug socket with 2 swivels and a short extension. It worked great.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:47 AM

Just realised that I never updated on what happened with the issue i was having. I replaced the spark plugs with the iridiums and that seemed to do the trick, or so i thought....

The bike ran fine for almost 2 months and then randomly i noticed the same exact symptoms happened againlast week(bike started, rpms dropped, stalled and from that point on would not even catch while cranking, even after sitting for a few days). This time I approached the problem with a little more of an open mind. After reading a ton of posts in this forum from the last few months, i have accumulated a ton of tricksto try.

I rechecked the plugs and they looked very dry (no fuel reaching them). The bike had ran very smoothly previously so because it had only been sitting for a few days, i didnt suspect a carb issue was to blame. Isprayed some starter fluid into the throttle bodies and sure enough, it startedright up for about 15 secsand thendied again. I checked the fuel line out the tank petcockand fuel was flowing fine. I thendisconnected the fuel line at the "T" before it enters the carborators. I noticeda little fuel flowed backward from the carbs. I decided to see if the fuelpump was working so i tried starting the bike while holding the disconnected line in my hand and sure enough,no fuelwas pushed out... ANDthe bike started and ranwithout thefuel line attached!! I figured that couldNOT be good for it so i shut it off and reattached the line.

From reading adifferent post inthis forum, I heard that sometimes whenanother member would turn thier key to the "on" position with thier kill switch on"off", thier fuel pump wouldnt prime,BUT if they turned their key to "on" when the switch was on "run", the pump would prime. I tried this trick and sure enough when i turned my key on with the switch on "run", I heard the pump prime, something i hadnt heard in previous attempts. Now the bike is once again running great and I saved myself likely another costly trip to theshop.

Based upon my own troubleshooting I seem to have corrected my problem. From what i understand, the fuel pump primes when the bike is started and only actually PUMPS fuel when your riding at higher speeds. I think what happened on both occassions is when i started my bike, the pump didntprime and hence didntit allow fuel to flow to thecarbs... which explains why the rpms woulddrop as existing fuel would burn up andthe bike would stall and refuse to restart.If the fuel pump doesnt prime, does that mean that it doesnt allow fuel to pass through or it somehow creates a vaccum which doesnt allow the fuel to reach the carbs? Secondly, Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to replace my fuel pump and filter just to be safe?