CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

88 600 Carb issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 600 Carb issue

Hey guys,

So i'm in some trouble, hopefully not too much but trouble none the less. Me and my buddy were opening up the bike to clean out the carbs and during the process me mate pulled the rubber tube that goes into the fuel filter from the carb side and the brown plastic opening on the carb broke. Now I've tried a few different ways but I think i might just have to either weld on or rubber up the opening because thats a bit crucial.

I'm gonna try and attach a picture so maybe I can get some additional input from you guys on what I should try.

Asides from that, how do i SYNC the carbs on an 88 600?
I saw a post of a 1000F carb sync but i didn't see the openings on my carb as they showed up on his.

Also theres a couple of wires stickin out which were like that when I opened her up, maybe you guys could also shed some light on that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks fellas.

Attached Thumbnails 88 600 Carb issue-carb1.jpg   88 600 Carb issue-carb2.jpg   88 600 Carb issue-carb3.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow really did a number on that one eh? Try superglue.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by tds94probe
Wow really did a number on that one eh? Try superglue.
Yeah it's ridiculous how easily it broke off. I will try superglue. Thanks

Any ideas where the sync pipes go?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:42 PM

if you are talking about the vaccum lines for the sync tool, there is a screw at the base of each inlet tube on the head where your carb boots attach. Those screw needs to be removed, and the appropriate attachment threaded in to hook your vaccum lines to.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:04 PM

Thanks probe, I hope i get it soon. You know a lot about bikes man, thx for ur help. Are you a bike mechanic by any chance?

Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 PM

No not a bike mechanic, but being mechanically inclined seems to run in my family. I was an apprentice technician for General Motors for a while, now a truck driver. Having owned this bike for about 5 years now I have done pretty much everything except rip apart the transmission.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by tds94probe
No not a bike mechanic, but being mechanically inclined seems to run in my family. I was an apprentice technician for General Motors for a while, now a truck driver. Having owned this bike for about 5 years now I have done pretty much everything except rip apart the transmission.
Thats pretty awesome man. I'm not so mechanically inclined but i'm hoping with experience I'll learn much.

How do you usually sync the carbs on your bike? Do you use one of those 100$ devices or have made a "manometer" like many others?

Old 07-09-2011, 02:39 PM

I do mine by eye. Its not 100% accurate, but the bike runs fine.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 AM

Just thought I'd give an update on the situation. So me n me bud got the ol' gal back together. Used some JB Weld and it worked pretty awesome.

We put everything back, the carbs are a $%^&* to put back together though, damn things don't seem to want to go. Either way, it hesitated a bit before she would turn on but once she was on initially she seemed to have a problem revving around 5k but after a few tries she was okay.

I haven't done a carb sync yet though and I don't know how badly I'll need to do one, she's running fine but the weird thing is, this morning I thought like always, she'd need a choke to start up but when i tried the choke, she'd die down and when I tried without a choke she stayed on and ran fine...

Maybe its just the weather or maybe its just me luck.

Anyway, thanks for the help here.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 AM

if you dont need the choke its not cold enough to use it, or your bike runs rich, one of the two.

Quick Reply: 88 600 Carb issue