CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

2000 cbr f4 cutting out in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 cbr f4 cutting out in 1st gear

If anyone out there can give me some info on what the problem with my bike may be it seems that when my temperature gauge is at 3/4 and I'm riding around in the city when I go from stopping to releasing the clutch to start moving again it's almost like jumping like as if you let the clutch out to fast and it wants to stall I then have to pull in clutch and usually i can get it going a second time but it still is almost stalling? Ive heard that it may be a coolant problem? Fuel pump? Or possibly even a side stand switch? Any ideas?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:43 PM

mine is doing the same thing. idk whats wrong with it either....

Old 07-11-2011, 07:45 AM

Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly? It could be that the cable is stretching or may have some fraying inside the outer sheath. Does the clutch operate smoothly or a bit stiff? When the cable stretches it obviously allows more play at the lever end and will prevent the clutch from disengaging properly causing drag and the problem you are having. Might be the clutch plates binding as the engine gets hot. Bit of a mystery that needs more thought!

Originally Posted by Cjohnston2224
If anyone out there can give me some info on what the problem with my bike may be it seems that when my temperature gauge is at 3/4 and I'm riding around in the city when I go from stopping to releasing the clutch to start moving again it's almost like jumping like as if you let the clutch out to fast and it wants to stall I then have to pull in clutch and usually i can get it going a second time but it still is almost stalling? Ive heard that it may be a coolant problem? Fuel pump? Or possibly even a side stand switch? Any ideas?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Definitely a hard problem to fix without the bike in front of me, Shouldnt be the plates binding when the bike gets hot. Does it shift fine into every other gear, Also are you running straight water or coolant and water?

Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Default Maybe

I failed to think it may be the clutch cable but it almost seems like the engine is dying from loss of power so I feel like it may have more to do with some fuel device or fluid, I'm also no sure what type of coolant is in it I only bought it 3 weeks ago and didn't ask and haven't checked yet but with the issues only when it's really hot I'm leavin towards the coolant it does shift fine in all other gears it's only from stopping to moving in first is there any other causes for this problem? Possibly fuel pump or would that be in all gears?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:05 AM

I'm still leaning towards a dodgy clutch or cable adjustment, but make sure your coolant level is correct. Get some corrosion inhibited ethylene glycol anti-freeze and mix it 50/50 with water. Check it when the bike is at it's working temperature and if necessary top it up, but don't release the coolant tank cap too quickly or you may get scalded! Better to let it cool for a few minutes and SLOWLY! release the cap and then top up just under the 'full' mark. Going back to your problem. There are possibly two things wrong and one is that the clutch plates are binding in the clutch basket due to overheating and 'blued' or bent clutch plate tangs. The other is, as I previously posted, an incorrectly adjusted clutch cable that is not letting the clutch plates free themselves off, which causes clutch drag. It's as though you are 'slipping' the clutch say as you might do on a hill to get away, only it is causing the bike to stall as if you hadn't used enough revs. I may be wrong on both counts, but without being there with your bike it is hard to diagnose. Other members may have more experience about this and post-hopefully!

Originally Posted by Cjohnston2224
I failed to think it may be the clutch cable but it almost seems like the engine is dying from loss of power so I feel like it may have more to do with some fuel device or fluid, I'm also no sure what type of coolant is in it I only bought it 3 weeks ago and didn't ask and haven't checked yet but with the issues only when it's really hot I'm leavin towards the coolant it does shift fine in all other gears it's only from stopping to moving in first is there any other causes for this problem? Possibly fuel pump or would that be in all gears?