CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

WTB - Trip Meter Arm

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts
Default WTB - Trip Meter Arm

I am not sure what the technical term for the part is that I need but it is the plastic arm that resets the trip meter when you push the reset button.
The shaft that you push is broken on mine and I'm not having much luck gluing it back together.

The gauge set I am using is an OEM analog set for a '98 600F3

If you happen to have one, please PM and I will take it off your hands. I am happy to pay you a reasonable price and shipping.

Thanks
Hamlin

Old 05-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

For anyone interested, I finally found an adhesive that seems to be working on this part.
I am not sure exactly what type of plastic this piece is but I had a booger of a time getting anything to work. But I did try the following and it looks like it will hold.
Plastic Bonder Syringe | J-B Weld
Even though the directions state a very short cure time, I am letting it set for 24 hours before I put everything back together.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm, that's really specific. I'd be in the same situation as you - trying to fix what I had. And I also always allow for extra cure time. Its not worth it breaking again...

Old 05-23-2016, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yea I figured it was a long shot but I was hoping maybe somebody had an old gauge set that was broken and sitting on a shelf. I'd rather try a used unbroken one than that is glued together but I think it will hold together.
My wife thought I was being incredibly picky trying to fix a trip meter until I told her my bike doesn't have a fuel gauge and that's how I judge when it's time to fill up while out riding on a long trip. Then that was a whole other conversation as to why some motorcycles don't have fuel gauges.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but since it's mine, I will.
Concerning the trip arm, for the better part of a year, I've been trying to fix the stem that you push to reset your trip meter. The overall design of the thing is pretty poor IMO, too much stress on a very thin piece of plastic. I found some replacements, but they all had the same break.
So, I've been trying any kind of adhesive I could find to try and get it to hold. At some point, it became personal and I quit keeping track of how much I spent on whatever adhesive it was that I was trying at the moment.
Then last week, I while at work, I was taking a mental break and watching a stupid "life hack" video on Youtube. In the video, some character was using a hot glue gun to glue all kinds of crap to butane lighters and calling it a hack. I thought, "well that's one thing I haven't tried. So I went out, spent 8 bucks on a cheap glue gun and some sticks and after a couple times of trial and error, I actually got it to hold super strong. I've applied force to it in every direction and it won't even think about budging. I now have it back together and it works like a champ.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Way to go man... perseverance pays off. Maybe some photo's?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks. I appreciate it. If you take a look at the pic, you can see that now the arm doesn't go all the way to the top. The horizontal flat arm is designed to hit the metal bracket in the center, which acts a stop.
The problem with that is when that happens, the piece is no longer horizontal. The stem gets placed at weird angle. When you press on it to reset your trip meter it puts a lot of lateral force on the thin stem.
I realize that my glue job looks like a big glob. It's actually that way on purpose. Not only does it provide more strength, but it creates a stop so the stem doesn't travel all the way up. There is enough travel in stem to reset the meter when needed but not enough to put it at a wonky angle.
It isn't pretty but it seems to be doing the job. Also, it's in covered place so aesthetics are secondary to function.

Attached Thumbnails WTB - Trip Meter Arm-20170219_163503.jpg