CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Wheel Bearing Dropped Out of Rear Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 09:47 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing Dropped Out of Rear Wheel

Afternoon All,

I have said this in my intro thread also but have an old dog of an F3 and found some very dodgy stuff.

the rear wheel was flapping around and took apart to find the bearing in wheel on driven hub side had fallen out of housing and was rattling about. See picture.

Now when I put Cush drive hub back in there is a gap between the shown bearing and the hub bearing. I assumed there was a spacer missing but upon checking manual there is no spacer in there.

seems madness to leave a gap as any bearing will work it’s way out of housing if not retained.

maybe somebody has fitted wrong hub?

I work with lots of bearings, drives etc and never seen a bearing not held active by circling, spacer or something else.

any help to suss this out or to show me this is how they are standard would be much appreciated.

cheers,

Colin

Old 09-04-2021, 09:53 AM

Sorry have just double checked manual and there is a collar that sits in back of bearing which is missing!

lucky I checked this and didn’t discover it at high speed.

does anyone have dimensions for this collar please, as I could machine another one?

Old 09-04-2021, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Holy crap man, that wheel is shot! That bearing is a pressed fit. That has obviously been like that for a long time. I don't know how they balanced that wheel. Look at all the weights on it. Start looking for a new wheel and make sure you have all the spacers. Looks like it was ridden without them. Noting special about the bearings, 6402UU. Pick up anywhere.

Items 4, 5, 8, and 17 on this page.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...3-a/rear-wheel

Old 09-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

It should look like this.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:23 AM

Here is the collar in question that goes through bearing in driven flange. Can anyone measure please?

Old 09-04-2021, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
It should look like this.

Thanks for the picture. It’s the back of driven flange that’s the question. I have since found out it has the collar missing that sits between wheel bearing you have shown and bearing in driven hub

Old 09-04-2021, 10:36 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

I don't have a F3 to measure but with that metal to metal rolling around/grinding/smacking for untold mileage, I'd be surprised if the wheel itself is still useable.

Good luck and hoping you can still use it!

Old 09-04-2021, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Samson
I don't have a F3 to measure but with that metal to metal rolling around/grinding/smacking for untold mileage, I'd be surprised if the wheel itself is still useable.

Good luck and hoping you can still use it!
yes it’s had a good hammering but the journal appears a damaged at base of wheel. I think a new wheel is in order. It was moving so much it has worn through calliper bracket!

Old 09-04-2021, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CPH007
yes it’s had a good hammering but the journal appears a damaged at base of wheel. I think a new wheel is in order. It was moving so much it has worn through calliper bracket!
WOW, man, that's unreal. How could someone ride it like that an not know that there was seriously wrong. Well, it's good that you've recognized that it needs a new wheel.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
WOW, man, that's unreal. How could someone ride it like that an not know that there was seriously wrong. Well, it's good that you've recognized that it needs a new wheel.
Yeah it’s worrying thinking what could have happened. I have just measured and there is only 10mm of damage free journal and the bearing is 14mm deep so new wheel it is.

Now I know why it was cheap 😂

The following users liked this post:
Doc Samson (09-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Dropped Out of Rear Wheel