CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

ugh won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ugh won't start

Battery reads 11-12 volts when bike isn't on. I mounted the R/R and nothing bike doesn't start just tries to. Is that the R/R or the starter in the bike? Is there even a starter. I am going today to get a GXSR but what wires are merged onto the gsxr ones? I do not want to run the entire wires myself.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:11 PM

Ok it was my regulator I guess. I got it started and it won't rev higher that 2k. It barely stays running. Even with choke on. When the bike is running my volts are below 12v. they are like 11.2-5, i saw somw 8's and 9's too and then I would let off throttle and it would die.

Figured it was my R/R so I bought a 02 Suzuki GSXR 600 750 1000 Rectifier/Regulator off ebay. Looks like it has five wires. Anyone know how to hook this bad boy up? I see two wires on the ground by the RR is that to another part or do both wires hook up to the r/r I do not want to run all new wires so I am going to splice and soder just have to make sure I am doing the right wires.

Or could this be an entirly differnt problem?

Last edited by bammerman; 07-24-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:54 AM

come on guys I am a computer tech for the supreme court, I have no clue what I am doing. Anyone with an idea would be helpful!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend going here (http://electrosport.com/technical-re...agnosis-center). Download the diagnosis work flow and I also recommend the diode testing guide. This will help to make sure there aren't any other issues in your charging system. Before you start testing, make sure your battery is fully charged.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:02 AM

I will look that over. On the wires to the stator from the R/R are they interchangeable?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:37 AM

I just put a GSXR R/R in my bike about a month ago. I'm at work right now so I don't have in it front of me to remember the colors, but the three (I believe yellow) wires on the bike connect with the three (I believe black) wires on the GSXR R/R. It doesn't matter which yellow goes to which black. The positive wire (I believe red) on the bike connects to the (I believe black and red) wire on the R/R. Then the green ground wire on the bike connects to the (I believe black and white) ground wire on the R/R. Like I said, I don't have the bike or the R/R in front of my but if I remember correctly those are the right colors.

As far as the bike not starting, I'm not sure if this is the cause of that or not. When my R/R went bad my bike ran fine, it just pumped out high voltage and eventually fried my battery. I would suspect something with the carbs or the timing, but that's just a guess. Have you cleaned the carbs yet?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:49 AM

No I haven't cleaned the carbs yet. The bike ran fine until I put my new tail conversion on and forgot to ground the R/R and gave it a test drive. Got to about 5k rpm's and it died and didn't want to start back up. I was able to get it started finally (it was the choke cable being unhooked and not being able to choke the bike.) Now it doesn't want to rev above 2k rpm's, when it does it dies instantly

Old 07-26-2010, 02:25 PM

I would clean the carbs out a bad ground for your r/r shouldn't be the cause of this problem i think it was just waiting to happen sounds like you might have some junk in your carbs or tank make sure your fuel pump is in working order and check the tank i had a very similar problem to yours it was my gas tank about 90% - 95% stopped up it was real hard to start would barely run would rev past about 1500 though and would die theres a simple solution to everything though maybe you should convert your tail back and hook everything up like it was and see if you still have the problem other than that idk what to tell u

Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 AM

How did you clean your gas tank out?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 AM

It depends on what's wrong with your gas tank. I would start by taking the petcock off and draining all of the fuel out of it. There should be a little filter inside your tank where the petcock was that you can pull out with a pair of needle nose pliers. Clean that out. If there is rust in the tank you have to acid etch it and seal it to prevent the rust from coming back. But that’s definitely where I’d start, check the tank, the fuel filter, the pump, the carbs, all of that fuel related stuff. I really don’t see how the R/R would be causing this.
Once you pull the tank off I’d suggest that you yank the fuel pump off and set up a direct/gravity feed to test and see if the bike runs. That will tell you if there is a problem with your fuel pump.