CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Triple clamp alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 08:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Triple clamp alignment

Is there a proper procedure to align the handlebars to the front wheel? Replaced the forks and the handlebars are off to the right now.

Followed a procedure: rear stand, loosen triple clamp nut, lower clamp bolts, caliper bolts, pinch bolts and axle nut. Push the suspension until handlebars are aligned. Snug the triple clamp nut, reverse order and tighten the triple clamp nut.

When performed the this the triple clamp nut got tight and wasn’t loose anymore and preloading the suspension didn’t adjust the steering. I’ve done this before except this time it didn’t align the handlebars. Any suggestions ya’ll?

Old 06-18-2024, 12:55 AM
Received 432 Likes on 391 Posts

Post some photos of bar-aiming issue you’re having. Most likely you’re skipping ahead and not fixing alignment 1st. Gotta make sure fork-tubes are parallel before tightening triple-T steerer bolt and fork-clamp bolts.

1. Jack up front-end so you can remove front-wheel and wiggle fork tubes around

2. Get 6x10” piece of plate-glass as alignment tool.

3. Place glass across fork-tubes and fork-sliders. Glass should NOT rock or wiggle. Should lay flat along entire contact area on both sides. If not, rotate top & bottom triple-T until fork tubes and sliders are parallel and glass doesn’t rock.

4. Gently tighten steerer bolt making sure top & bottom doesn’t spin relative to each other.

5. Gently tighten all fork-clamp bolts

6. Verify with plate glass that fork-tubes and sliders are still parallel and glass lays flat across without rocking

7. Follow this guide on installing wheel, axle & brakes properly to keep everything aligned. Follow proper section for type of forks & axle you have. Do brake calipers last.

Last edited by dannoxyz; 06-18-2024 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-19-2024, 06:39 PM

The bars are misaligned still veering to the right. This is on I160 in Johnnie, NV.
I set the bars straight, while on a front stand loosened the bars, upper and lower triple clamp and pivoted the bars in the direction to align the forks to the position of the bars. Tightened the triple clamps and somehow the bars are off again. Will try to realign as you mentioned and I’ll have to use a helper and will set the sag that requires two as well, correct?
Also, the oil level was set too high by mistake my fault. Maxima Oil does not include a sight measure on the quarts and requires a measuring cup. There happened to be 4 loose oil pan bolts and oil was leaking from two bolt holes!!!

Last edited by kylehasyourfrenchtoast; 06-19-2024 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:53 PM
Received 432 Likes on 391 Posts

No, do not use bars to spin forks to make bars straight. That’s backwards. Forget bars completely. You want to make sure triple-Ts and fork tubes are all straight 1st and firmly tightened down to each other. Then loosen bars and wiggle them into place without moving forks around.

Again, DO NOT move forks to make bars straight. Move the bars to get them straight without disturbing fork’s alignment.

Might have bent forks and bent bars. Use string-test to align edges of front & rear tyres so they are parallel. Don’t use marks on swingarm, they’re often wrong.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/tags/alignment/

Last edited by dannoxyz; 06-19-2024 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 08:45 AM

Okay, I figured out the left fork is slipping when tightening down the lower triple clamp. Maybe not however the handlebars move to the right.
I placed a plastic lid underneath the front wheel. Loosened the steering stem nut, lower triple tree, caliper bolts, bunch bolts and axle. Put the front on a triple tree front stand and lifted and lowered about 5 times to pump and reset the front suspension rather than pushing down on the triple clamp. hand tightened the steering stem bolt careful not to misalign the handlebars or forks. Then upper triple clamp, axle, pinch bolts and brake test following caliper bolts.

Seems the left front fork slips when tightening down and twists enough to place the handlebars crooked just a few degrees to the right.
What am I doing wrong here? Confused never had this issue before.

Last edited by kylehasyourfrenchtoast; 08-02-2024 at 08:48 AM.