CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Track Project Success

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Project Success

Thought I'd recount my F3 tale. I've been on the forum for a few months to gain knowledge as I bought a very cheap F3 from fleaBay which was someone's abandoned trackday project. The bike had been sat around for several years in the open. It smoked a little which turned out to be slight corrosion of one cylinder, the battery would drain, the aftermarket tacho didn't work and the tyres were shot. The bike also wouldn't pull as far as I could tell running up and down my street (it's not road legal so couldn't test properly).

I fitted new aftermarket suspension set for my weight and it's intended purpose of track rather than road and fixed the other problems. Fresh oil and filters and off to a circuit. Of course it was raining but luckily I had fitted the new Michelin Pilot Road 3's with the idea they could work in any conditions without messing about changing wheels for full wets etc.

First session, disasater! The bike wouldn't pull past about 10,000 rpm, coughing and spluttering. The tyres didn't work well either. I thought well I may as well do a few sessions and learn what I can about the bike. Then Voila! Halfway through my second session it starts coming alive. By the end of the day the bike was screaming its heart out and sitting on the limiter on the straight. They tyres also started coming good by about the 4th session - seems they need quite a bit of wearing in and I had got used to full on sports/track rubber that is ready to go after a couple of laps.

Well you really have to scream these things to the limiter but then they go ok. I was still getting mugged by the litre bikes on full wets but then I would, wouldn't I? So it looks like I have a nice, cheap, easy to ride track bike to learn on. My Gixer was a bit scary in the cold or wet hence the F3.

I need to do a few tweaks to complete setup such as further increase the tail up - I dropped the triples as far as possible but it needs more so ordered a rear jack up kit. All in all I'm quite chuffed with the little F3

Old 11-01-2011, 04:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont lower the front too much or raise the rear to much. You sacrafice straight line stability and rear wheel traction in the turns. From what I remember. Sport Rider magazine had F2 and F3 tips back in the 90's. They said not to lower the triple clamps more than 10mm, because of stability/traction problems.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:30 AM

I'm taking my settings from a guy that won a WERA Championship on one. The changes were much more than 10mm. More like 20mm+ both ends so effectively around a 40mm change. Can't remember exactly and the WERA site is down as I write.

So far I have dropped the triple clamps by over an inch and it is completely stable with no traction problems. Absolutely no sign of headshake and I've had it held on the limiter down the straight at a GP circuit which must've been around 140 mph (I'm one tooth up on front sprocket)

However tyre's are probably a lot better now. I'd advise anyone on the road to be more careful - I've shed about 50Kg and fitted much stiffer suspension both ends. The track fairing mount also has a steering lock limiter should I get a headshake. So it's quite different to standard.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Banned
Default Old CBRs on the track!!

Thanks for this post. It's heartening to see someone take the little F3 out to the track.

I am also a track enthusiast . . . my first bike was the CBR 929 and I refuse to give up on it. I am trying to keep up with newer, lighter and higher cc bikes.

The little bugger (well not so little) will not get above 146 mph on the straights . . .

Before, I wasn't really worried about the top end speed but this off season top end improvement will be my focus!

Keep us informed and motivated with the updates.