F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Project: F4/F4I Track Bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project: F4/F4I Track Bike

Hi Everyone,

My brother and I are diving into a winter project of turning our recently purchased 99 F4 into a track bike. I dont have any pics of when we first bought it but it was pretty bare bones the PO had stuck a set of RC51 Fairings on the bike with a foam wrapped aluminum plate as a seat, needless to say he basically used what he had laying around to put together a bike. The Fairings were VERY large for the bike and were just kind of mock fitted to sit on the bike. Now we arent putting this bike together to go race on it quite yet but would more or less like to build this bike so that we can improve our riding skills and have some fun without having to worry about getting in trouble. Over the course of the last 2 months we have ordered and gathered some parts to assemble the bike. Bike was not running when we picked it up so we were able to get it for a pretty good price. We cleaned out the carbs and installed the fuel pump back on the bike( for some reason PO took it off? Pump was fine) Bike fired up and ran great. We picked up some F4I fibreglass track fairings at a steal of a price and are in the process of mounting them. We have mounted the tail fairing and found an F4I front seat locally and here is the bike as it sits now. I am posting these so that someday if somebody needs help with any of the stuff we are doing that they will be able to use this thread to help them out, as I have found this site unbelievably useful in any of the mods we have been looking at doing. So far if there is something that we want to do, we have been able to find the info here.
Name:  20131026_172056_zps6b81e45f.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  156.4 KB
Name:  20131026_172137_zps63b89c36.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  173.0 KB
Name:  20131026_172157_zpscbea3d51.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  163.7 KB
Name:  20131026_172221_zps4ebdc90a.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  147.6 KB
Name:  20131026_172243_zps42ea5bf2.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  116.3 KB

Name:  20131026_172510_zps218328ce.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  119.5 KB

Last edited by Diesel7926; 11-19-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 PM

We have bought an F4I fairing stay and 9 pin connectors from ebay shipped from Hong Kong and a set of gauges from an ebayer in the US and are planning on mounting and hooking them up tonight, We are hoping to get the fairings installed (upper and lower) as well but that will depend on how well the gauges go. I will post some more pics later of our progress

Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 PM

Looks interesting. I want your tank! I need a red and black one and all I can find is dented ones.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Very cool to see another F4 making it to the track! What other modifications are you planning? I have a penske rear shock if its in your budget. I can't use it because I swapped to a different swingarm. How come you posted this in the F4i section not the F4? cant wait to see what you end up doing with the bike? Its a great bike.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ObsidianOne
Looks interesting. I want your tank! I need a red and black one and all I can find is dented ones.
There is a couple small dents that we are going to try and fix, they are hardly noticeable but still there.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Very cool to see another F4 making it to the track! What other modifications are you planning? I have a penske rear shock if its in your budget. I can't use it because I swapped to a different swingarm. How come you posted this in the F4i section not the F4? cant wait to see what you end up doing with the bike? Its a great bike.
we aren't quite sure at the moment what all we are doing,I will talk to my bro about the shock( we had talked about doing the swingarm conversion like yours). I actually didnt even notice that I posted it in here, probably cause I spend most of my time on the site in here looking. I guess if it should be moved the mods can do it? The bike will be a mix of both when we are done. Gotta get to work, I will post up our progress tonight.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:14 AM

you want to raise the bike regardless. i scraped my (in order i imagine) pegs, shift lever, kick stand, knee pad, fairing, stator cover, with stock height and around 30mm sag in the rear. the front may be a bit lower but without shimming it i kinda had to!
now my bike she'll turn easy enough, but when you are breaking turning, etc it gets to be alot of work on your right hand, anyways thats my defense for having more sag in the front.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by RudyGT
you want to raise the bike regardless. i scraped my (in order i imagine) pegs, shift lever, kick stand, knee pad, fairing, stator cover, with stock height and around 30mm sag in the rear. the front may be a bit lower but without shimming it i kinda had to!
now my bike she'll turn easy enough, but when you are breaking turning, etc it gets to be alot of work on your right hand, anyways thats my defense for having more sag in the front.
we have plans of putting either woodcraft or adjustable rearsets on it, hopefully that will help.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Sorry shock is sold but I can keep an eye out for deals if you want.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:13 PM

well, like i said, when you get to the edge of the tire, or close to it, you will scrape more than the rearsets.
another problem is with rearsets that are exactly like OEM like those woodcrafts, your linkage may hit if you decide to go even higher and run GP shift.
the best i found that are fully adjustable are chinese or prolink, i think
im pretty sure mine are higher than what the woodcrafts are, and are stock. i scraped the feelers at the track, so i removed them. i scraped the peg. my toe
and finally i scraped the stator cover, the bike is not tall enough! consider shimming it a little. depending on the year it should be as simple as putting a washer in.
just some heads up, nothing worse then going wide on a turn cause you are grinding your bike into the asphalt.

Quick Reply: Project: F4/F4I Track Bike