CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Time to replace cam chain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to replace cam chain?

I have a 1996 Cbr 600 ft, it has approx 52000 miles on the clock. i replaced the CCT only last summer about 4000 miles ago, and im not sure if replacing the CCT alone AGAIN, will fix the hideous noise it is now making. ive taken thew bike off the road because i dont fancy riding it any more if it going to give up on me out in the road...

I have space and time to take the engine out myself but i was just wondering if i should replace the cam chain itself or try a new CCT again??
has anyone had any experience changing a cam chain this bike?
Cheers

Old 06-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I'd be surprised if the CCT had failed within 4000 miles. You shouldn't have to pull the motor to replace the cam chain. It can be broken just like the drive chain. You then hook the ends together and pull it through. Are you sure the noise is the chain and not the valves needing to be shimmed ?

Old 06-07-2009, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by idodirt
I'd be surprised if the CCT had failed within 4000 miles. You shouldn't have to pull the motor to replace the cam chain. It can be broken just like the drive chain. You then hook the ends together and pull it through. Are you sure the noise is the chain and not the valves needing to be shimmed ?
No i checked the valve clearances and put in new shims maybe 2 years ago. its definatly the cam chain. is it possible to replace the CCT slider at the same time as replacing the cam chain? do you need special tools etc??

Old 06-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rookeez
No i checked the valve clearances and put in new shims maybe 2 years ago. its definatly the cam chain. is it possible to replace the CCT slider at the same time as replacing the cam chain? do you need special tools etc??
Yes, you can. I'm not sure if you need to remove the cam shafts in order to get the slider out or not. You may just be able to remove the sprockets from the end's of the shafts. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you'd be able to replace the cam chain by removing the slider tensioner and cam sprockets. Then remove the Ignition Pulse Generator cover. There is a cam chain guide by the sprocket on the crankshaft. You may be able to remove this and by dropping the chain down into the crankcase, slip the chain off the end of the crankshaft. When putting it back on, you can use a coat hanger to fish the chain back up to the top.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rookeez
I have a 1996 Cbr 600 ft, it has approx 52000 miles on the clock. i replaced the CCT only last summer about 4000 miles ago, and im not sure if replacing the CCT alone AGAIN, will fix the hideous noise it is now making. ive taken thew bike off the road because i dont fancy riding it any more if it going to give up on me out in the road...

I have space and time to take the engine out myself but i was just wondering if i should replace the cam chain itself or try a new CCT again??
has anyone had any experience changing a cam chain this bike?
Cheers
The CCT chains will stretch just like regular chains. At about 60k miles, the stock CCT seems not to be able to keep tension on the chain and it will rattle. Putting a new CCT won't fix it. I went through the exact same thing with my bike. So replacing the CCT chain is the right thing to do. It's not hard to do. You do not have to remove the motor to do it.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Phil314
Putting a new CCT won't fix it. I went through the exact same thing with my bike. So replacing the CCT chain is the right thing to do. It's not hard to do. You do not have to remove the motor to do it.

Well, there you have it. That's great news on not having to pull the engine. Good luck rookeez, keep us posted on your progress.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by idodirt
Well, there you have it. That's great news on not having to pull the engine. Good luck rookeez, keep us posted on your progress.
yes indeed im hoping to turn the cbr into a track machine and ive just bought an R1 to pass the summer days now totally different animal!

cheers for all your help folks

Old 06-10-2009, 12:04 PM

Manual cam chain tensioner is the way to go.I have one on all 3 of my motors,no problems at all.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 AM

Hello to you all, this is my first post to this forum.
I've been reading on the internet about this cam chain rattle that is present not only on the F3 and this is the first post that mentions the chain itself.
I have the same damn rattle on my F3 and because of the mileage I have (86000Km), I am trying to discover a method to see if the chain also needs to be replaced.
The dealer is not of much help since he told me he can only check the length of the chain but only for bikes not older than 5 years....bogus..
I would like to change the whole chain, guides, lifter, sprockets but it's rather expensive....
I could put a manual tensioner like APE, but I wouldn't be too happy.
I've managed to fix the tensioner once by, first dismantling it to see how it works, then I pre-tightened the spring a little then I installed it with the cover removed so I could see how it sat on the tensioner guide...
One thing I noticed is that the CCT Lifter has almost all the shaft out, at the end of it's length, which makes it rather unstable and unable to perform it's function correctly.

I am trying to find out the standard thickness of the chain guides, eventually the dimensions of the chain and the nominal excursion of the lifter, so that I can see if the chain/sprockets/guides need replacement.

The ideea behind OEM CCT is not bad, but I think it can be improved...
What do you guys think?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 AM

An extendable pen type magnet will work easier than a coat hanger, that's what I use to fish stuff up if it ever gets stuck, found out it doesn't work on pencils though (aluminum).