CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Tachometer problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer problems

I sure hope someone can help me, as I have been trying to get this working for a few days now.

I have a 96 f3 that I am putting a aftermarked gauge setup on. It is a cheap one from ebay.

Motorcycle Digital Speedometer LCD Gauges Digital Panel Universal Best OFFER | eBay

My problem is I can't get the tach to work. I have hooked it up to the green and yellow signal wire that is for the stock tach and nothing. I have tried hooking it up to the coil on all four of the connections and nothing. I have tried hooking it up to the yellow wire coming off the pulse generator and I get signal, and the tach works, but at 1000 rpms it is reading 11000ish on the gauge.

I have changed the pulse setting to a couple different settings and get nothing different. I'm not sure about just wrapping the wire around the spark plug wire.. not sure if I would need a special inductive wire to make that work or what.

There is only one signal wire for the tach coming from the cluster as well if that makes any difference.

If someone could give me some help...id appreciate it!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The Yellow/Green wire is the source for RPM on the F3. Have you checked to see what voltage you're getting from it ? You'd need a Peak Voltage capable meter to read it. Did the Tachometer work before ?

Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Registered Users

Yep. Never had a problem with the tach. What voltage should be coming from it?

Old 03-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spruytte0717
I sure hope someone can help me, as I have been trying to get this working for a few days now.

I have a 96 f3 that I am putting a aftermarked gauge setup on. It is a cheap one from ebay.

Motorcycle Digital Speedometer LCD Gauges Digital Panel Universal Best OFFER | eBay

My problem is I can't get the tach to work. I have hooked it up to the green and yellow signal wire that is for the stock tach and nothing. I have tried hooking it up to the coil on all four of the connections and nothing. I have tried hooking it up to the yellow wire coming off the pulse generator and I get signal, and the tach works, but at 1000 rpms it is reading 11000ish on the gauge.

I have changed the pulse setting to a couple different settings and get nothing different. I'm not sure about just wrapping the wire around the spark plug wire.. not sure if I would need a special inductive wire to make that work or what.

There is only one signal wire for the tach coming from the cluster as well if that makes any difference.

If someone could give me some help...id appreciate it!
I will be following this since I am having the same problem with an aftermarket tach on my 90 cbr1000

Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Registered Users

Seems that's the story I keep hearing. Iv talked to multi people that cant get a aftermarket tach to work on the f3. I have been picking through every forum out there trying to get some info, and there are dozens of threads trying to solve this issue.

I have exhausted every option that I can come up with to get this to work. At this point it seems like I am going to have to go with a different setup. It is odd that so many people have done the f4i cluster swap with not a issue though.

Amsoil929 could you give me some details on your setup? I have never torn into a old school 1000. Does it use a single signal wire to the factory tach as well? Also what tach are you trying to install?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 AM

Seems that's the story I keep hearing. Iv talked to multi people that cant get a aftermarket tach to work on the f3. I have been picking through every forum out there trying to get some info, and there are dozens of threads trying to solve this issue.

I have exhausted every option that I can come up with to get this to work. At this point it seems like I am going to have to go with a different setup. It is odd that so many people have done the f4i cluster swap with not a issue though.

Amsoil929 could you give me some details on your setup? I have never torn into a old school 1000. Does it use a single signal wire to the factory tach as well? Also what tach are you trying to install?
The original tach uses three wires; one for the tach and two for the light. I will have to re look at the wire schematic but it seems as if only the yellow/brown run the tach. What could be an issue is if the tach is grounded through the illumination.

I am attempting to run the KOSO gauge. I don't know the model of it off the top of my head .

Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Yep. Never had a problem with the tach. What voltage should be coming from it?
10.5v minimum using a Peak Voltage meter. You're not going to read that on a standard meter.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
10.5v minimum using a Peak Voltage meter. You're not going to read that on a standard meter.
Never heard of a peak voltage meter... Whats the difference between a peak VM and a standard VM?

Excuse my ingnorance on this topic.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Just watched a YouTube video (
) on how to build an adapter to register peak voltage. Looks legit.

From my understanding a Peak voltage meter only shows you the max output not the exact current output?

Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

That video does look like it should work. It is funny though that he's using a Fluke Model 87 meter, which is able to read Peak Voltage (I know because I own one).

AMSOIL929, Peak Voltage is what you're trying to measure, not current so you're good.

Quick Reply: Tachometer problems