CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Still Leaking Gas With New Petcock

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still Leaking Gas With New Petcock

About 4 days ago I started my bike up and went for a ride. Rode around fine till I got to a buddies house and it just completely shut off on me. Wouldn't start at all afterwards. Thought I might have flooded it so I let it sit for a hour. Started back up and figure to get her home asap. Went down a mile and it did it again. Tried starting it wouldn't start drained the battery called my buddy up for a jump and a hour later nothing. Called for a tow.

Yesterday during lunch I decided to change my plugs. Bought brand new NGK's and installed them. Still nothing. Check gas tank and it was close to empty so I went and got some gas. Still nothing!! Sounded like it would almost kick over but nothing.

This morning I decided to give it a try again.
For some reason I keep leaking gas from the small vent from my tank what gives? I went to the garage this morning and 9 bucks of gas is all over the floor.

Took the tank off and when I flipped the tank over gas was squirting out of the small vent all crazy. Went to start bike and it started right up. Was idling for a while but when I gave it gas would completely shut off. Tried to hook the tank back up and nothing again. Everything else seems to fine for electrical.

I have searched and searched on this forum couldn't find a answer.

Things I have done:

Cleaned carbs put a stage 1 kit on
New Plugs
New Petcock with filter screen

I'm running out of ideas. Please someone help before I just trash this bike!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

What's the interior condition of your tank ? Tanks are not meant to be turned upside down. I'm surprised that fuel leaks out then. If I recall, there's only a single O ring on the petcock that seals it against the tank. As long as it's in good condition and the mating surfaces are not damaged, it should not be leaking from there. If you think you might have a hole in the tank, then with an empty tank, try pressurizing it a little and submerging it in a tub of water. Bubbles would help you locate a pinhole.

As for the carburetor cleaning, was it a complete dis-assembly of the carburetors, or just removal of the jets ?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes I just make things more complicated then it really is. Since I have been taking the tank on and off to repair the bike, the fuel line from the filter to the tank ripped on the bottom. Didn't noticed it till I took off the fuel filter to inspect it which was really dirty. Replaced the fuel line and filter and now she runs. I hope to god there is no more problems as riding season for us in the upper midwest is almost over.

I do still have a very strong gas smell coming from the garage. There hasn't been any leaks either.