CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Shorty Exhaust - Increase Packing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the exhaust has arrived! I have not had time to put it on yet, but the one thing that I was surprised about was exactly how little exhaust packing there is! There is very little packing in it, and next to no space for more. In face, there is less than a quarter-inch gap between the baffle and outer layer (it is tight!!). Anyway, I hope to get it mounted this weekend so I can fire it up and hear it for myself.

Oh, and the instructions say there is approximately 100 miles of break-in before you get the final sound level. My guess is that it takes roughly 100 miles to completely burn off what little packing there is ... lol. But seriously - Conrice, did you experience a change in tone of the exhaust between when you put it on and now?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 AM
March 2009 ROTM

i have not rode my bike with the gp pipe on it yet but i have had it running for a while a couple of times and it does change in sound it seems after it get warm and the longer it runs. It has a nice deep tone now that barks back when you give it some gas. I LOVE IT!!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by omninate
Well the exhaust has arrived! I have not had time to put it on yet, but the one thing that I was surprised about was exactly how little exhaust packing there is! There is very little packing in it, and next to no space for more. In face, there is less than a quarter-inch gap between the baffle and outer layer (it is tight!!). Anyway, I hope to get it mounted this weekend so I can fire it up and hear it for myself.

Oh, and the instructions say there is approximately 100 miles of break-in before you get the final sound level. My guess is that it takes roughly 100 miles to completely burn off what little packing there is ... lol. But seriously - Conrice, did you experience a change in tone of the exhaust between when you put it on and now?

ya, i have about 400 miles on my exhaust now. There may be a slightly different exhaust note, but the sound is overall the same, which is amazing and beast like. When I read about the 100 mile break-in, I wondered about the difference in sound too, and I really tried to pay attention to notice, and havent really noticed anything. The difference is so small, I'm pretty sure what I am hearing is just me being used to the sound now. Whatever it is, I'm really happy with it.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:49 PM

Did you guys keep the exhaust gasket in the process, or did you just use the clamp the new pipe came with to mount it directly on the header?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:00 AM
March 2009 ROTM

use the clamp the new pipe came with and mount it right on the header

Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 PM

Did you notice a difference in the performance of the bike? I.E. faster, slower because of the reduced packing in the exhaust

Old 02-03-2009, 03:40 PM

anyway we could get a video with the camera a little farther from the bike and a little higher in the rpms?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by duplago
Did you notice a difference in the performance of the bike? I.E. faster, slower because of the reduced packing in the exhaust
performance went through the roof, especially after jetting

Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Guess I'm gonna try it. I already have the bike jetted so should be good to go just re-sync before spring right?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 AM
March 2009 ROTM

normal tune up calls for re-sync at least once a year, it wont hurt to do all you can do is make it better.

Quick Reply: Shorty Exhaust - Increase Packing?