CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Shorty Exhaust - Increase Packing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shorty Exhaust - Increase Packing?

Wow that is loud.

Not as bad as a set ofSampson Street Sweepersbut bad enough.

Anyone riding behind you is not going to be very happy thats for sure!

IMHO I would pack the baffle as tight / full as you can get it to ensure their is enough back pressure in the exhaust.

Otherwise your going to damage the motor.

Those short slip on's are to be used on modernmotorcycles that run a cataylitic converter.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM

is this the one you guys have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-98...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 PM

yep, that is the one. mine shipped today, so I should get it next week.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 PM

dammit i want it so bad jus have to get wheels and swingarm taken car of

Old 01-23-2009, 06:25 AM
March 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: b.haley

dammit i want it so bad jus have to get wheels and swingarm taken car of
Is this a chronic case of to much stuff not enough money. LOL

Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 PM

That looks and sounds great!!!! I have a question though. My D&D pipe is extremely loud, is there a way to quiet it a little? Just stuff some sort of packing in the pipe? What is the correct way to do this? Thanks!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i am running thatpipe now (im glad there are others that have been trying it). its really loud, but not obnoxiously loud. I'm sure the D&D is comparable. Also, the decibel levels that are stated on the pipe are when the bike is WOT above 10k rpms or so. Cruising around town is no problem. Everyone has given me compliments on it. i also get a lot of people asking me to rev it. There is absolutely NO packing or baffle, so it means NO back pressure. You have to jet your bike after installing the pipe. all in all, im so happy with it. I saved so much weight (over the stock exhaust), with the jettting ive been getting much more power, and the sound is to die for. a lot of my friends are looking into it and for $80, why not?

Old 01-24-2009, 02:01 PM

There is absolutely NO packing or baffle, so it means NO back pressure. You have to jet your bike after installing the pipe. all in all, im so happy with it. I saved so much weight (over the stock exhaust), with the jettting ive been getting much more power, and the sound is to die for. a lot of my friends are looking into it and for $80, why not?
Glad to hear you are enjoying the pipe!! I got mine for $60 (watch for one of the ebay auctions that does not have a buy-it-now price) - I also figured why not? Sounds like my noise concerns will not be an issue, but back-pressure will be. Conrice, I see in your signature you are running a Stage 1 Jet Kit. Is that the Factory Pro or the DynoJet kit? Also, I have not ever torn into the guts of my F3s carbs - how bad is it to install a jet kit?

Cheers! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: omninate

There is absolutely NO packing or baffle, so it means NO back pressure. You have to jet your bike after installing the pipe. all in all, im so happy with it. I saved so much weight (over the stock exhaust), with the jettting ive been getting much more power, and the sound is to die for. a lot of my friends are looking into it and for $80, why not?
Glad to hear you are enjoying the pipe!! I got mine for $60 (watch for one of the ebay auctions that does not have a buy-it-now price) - I also figured why not? Sounds like my noise concerns will not be an issue, but back-pressure will be. Conrice, I see in your signature you are running a Stage 1 Jet Kit. Is that the Factory Pro or the DynoJet kit? Also, I have not ever torn into the guts of my F3s carbs - how bad is it to install a jet kit?

Cheers! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
It was the Dynojet kit. The majority of the install is just getting to the carbs. #2 and #3 cylinder boots are hard to get to, especially if you have big hands. after you get the carbs off, its fairly straight forward. if you have a drill, and a couple of screw drivers, its very easy, just follow the instructions.remember to adjust your pilot screw when you put the new jets in because the bike will most likely seem like its running rich when in actuality, you just need to screw in the pilot screws. i had to pull my carbs 3 times before i found the right tune.

Just remember, the real battle is just having to take everything off to get the carbs, after that, its pretty easy.once the bike seems like its idling correctly and revving correctly, take it for a ride. if it has flat spots or bogs down, clean your air filter and play with the pilot screws until it feels right, i suggest leaving the needles in the middle groove. ENJOY![sm=gears.gif]

Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Conrice
Just remember, the real battle is just having to take everything off to get the carbs, after that, its pretty easy. once the bike seems like its idling correctly and revving correctly, take it for a ride. if it has flat spots or bogs down, clean your air filter and play with the pilot screws until it feels right, i suggest leaving the needles in the middle groove. ENJOY![sm=gears.gif]
Thanks for the advice! Sounds like I will definitely be jetting the bike before spring comes so that I do not end up tearing up the engine!

Quick Reply: Shorty Exhaust - Increase Packing?