CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

rust problem maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rust problem maybe?

ok so here is what is going on, i picked up this bike out of a barn for 600 bucks, its a 98 cbr 600 f3, it didn't run when i got it. i pull the carbs off, cleaned them, and it ran great, it did have some orange stuff in the float covers? (im guessing that is what its called, aluminum covers over the floats and the jets i believe, im still learning, first motor i have had with a carb) i have found that is a sign of rust, i didnt change any filters because the shops were closed, time pressed ect. well after a few weeks of sitting, it started to run really crappy, so i pulled the carbs cleaned them again to find more orange stuff, signs of rust again i assume, but this time i made sure to look in the tank, seemed pretty clean, didn't see rust, change the fuel filter, cleaned all the lines, and it started and ran great for about 3 hour of riding, and then i parked it. haven't rode it since. i dont know where this rust would be coming from, but could it have just been in my fuel filter maybe somehow? the old filter was orange in color so that is my only other thought to where this color was comming from. it was also very little amount of orange stuff both times, but i guess what my question is, when i go to start it in a couple of more weeks will i have more issues? and does an orange film inside those covers mean that there has to be rust somewhere? or could that be a sign of a different issue? i plan on tearing back into it tomorrow after work to sync the carbs, and i kinda want to know some things to look for to make sure that my ride is going to be reliable, safe, and enjoyable. is there anything else to look for rust wise other than inside the tank?