CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

retarded timing help-

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retarded timing help-

what: cbr 600 f3 97 motor

problem: i bought a f3 super cheap cause it wasnt running when i got it. appearently the kid i bought it from when he changed the sparks to try to get it to start he put the ignition coils/plugs in the wrong order. it was attempted to turn over with the sparks firing in the wrong order- now im not a autotech pro but does this mess up the timing? because i had found the problem earlier put the plugs on the proper order then it started up for a while and it was running a little weird but still ran. so i tried to start it the other day and all it does now is back fire and shoots flames out of the can. carbs are cleaned sparks are new, air filter is good, so im thinking its the timing, can anyone confirm and how do i fix this ? thank you in advance

Old 01-15-2011, 04:25 PM

i dont think that would effect timing, you would just have spark at the right time in the wrong cylinder. what exactly do you mean by, running a little weird? i would check fuel flow from the pump next

Old 01-15-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by colorado_steve
i dont think that would effect timing, you would just have spark at the right time in the wrong cylinder. what exactly do you mean by, running a little weird? i would check fuel flow from the pump next
by weird i mean it was running but like foggy boggy slow response to throttle like the carbs were dirty but they are perfect, and i have new throttle cables it was have trouble idling but once it warmed up it run fine seemingly. as for the fuel line i just replaced it and theres no pump i bypassed it because it didnt work when i got it, that was the first thing i checked and i put new fuel line going to the carbs from tank

Old 01-16-2011, 12:18 AM

It is highly unlikely that your timing is off. especially if all that was done was that the coils were put back in the wrong order. to the bike, its all the same, meaning it will put out a spark whenever its told to whether its to the right cylinder or not. your timing is controlled by 2 things, mechanically by the timing gear/cam chain/camshaft combination, and electrically by the pulsar generator which picks off timing from the timing gear for the electrical portion of the equation. the easiest way to verify timing if you are convinced that is an issue is to remove the valve cover and the timing cover and rotate the crank until the timing marks line up. when you get that, you will check for the visual indication on the camshaft gears. you should see "in" and "ex" both right side up with the marking line sitting in line with the top of the cylinder head. sounds to me like you are having fuel issues. i know it can feel like you have checked everything, but you may have missed something. check and double check everything. re clean the carbs, check the jetting, read the plugs, verify timing is correct, verify valve adjustments, verify coil resistances..... and so on. one problem you may be having is that without a fuel pump you may not be supplying enough fuel for the engine to run properly. remember that a whole bunch of japanese guys that are a lot smarter than us engineered these bikes.... they must have built it like that for a reason.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

maybe old gas from when the coils were in the wrong order left in the cylinders, Wouldnt affect timing tho.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:26 AM

alright i am checking tomorrow after bears game