CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Removing side cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Removing side cover

Yea well not really any other place it can be placed. You can run a positive (+) wire from the battery with an in-line fuse holder in it, to the tail and tuck it somewhere like i did. you can get a jump start or charge the battery from this wire and use anything like the swingarm for ground

Old 11-29-2008, 02:42 PM

I bought a Battery Tender Jr. and I was just going to drill a small hole in the battery box and run the quick connect through it through so I don't have to take the plastic off every winter but I think I like your idea better because if my battery died now I would have to find someone in the parking lot with a small tool kit to access the battery. Great idea F3biker I understand your idea but would you need the inline fuse or could you just wrap the + wire to keep it from hitting metal?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Riderc82

Great idea F3biker I understand your idea but would you need the inline fuse or could you just wrap the + wire to keep it from hitting metal?
You don't NEED the inline fuseholder, but what if the tip of the wire hits metal and stays there...that dead short can prove deadly while riding! This is assuming that you're 'tucking' the wire somewhere. So it's worth the 6-10$ fuseholder that us car-audio installers use. walmart has them for 8$ or so (i used 8AWG power wire as this live wire to carry good current for a jump start, but it's overkill as a charging wire!)

If you're wrapping it, you never know what happens to that and it ain't worth the risk one bit.

If the fuse ever pops, than you can just throw in a new one, but with the conscience that you're always fused...it's much more relieving

Old 11-29-2008, 10:56 PM

I know what your talking about I used to have a system back in the day. It seems like the only way the fuse inside of the inline fuse would do you any good is if the fuse wasn't in the holder till you needed a jump, otherwise you still would run the risk of the wire grounding out since the wire is hot. Now if the fuse wasn't in there wouldn't be any power on the end you would use to jump start the bike. I guess what I'm trying to say is either way you run the risk it could ground out your way may give you a little more peace of mind because the fuse may/should blow. I guess the best car audio example would be when my power wire came out of my amp and made a small weld on the outside of my Rockford Fosgate amp. I'm going to use your idea regardless I may just put a small piece of rubber in the inline fuse holder so there is no way possible it could ground out and put the fuse in my riding jacket. What amp fuse do you use in yours? Got any pics?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:41 PM

Keeping the fuseholder as short as 1' away from the + terminal itself is the safest hook up possible. There's no way the wire can ground between the terminal itself and the fuseholder if there's like 1-3' of distance in between. I have my fuseholder inside the battery box itself and i'll snap a shot of the setup when I'm working in the area.

this will more than suffice, and even comes with a 40 and 100AMP fuses. the 40 is safer in this case

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2606832

Old 11-30-2008, 05:25 PM

Snap a pic when you get a chance, I won't even be able to ride my bike for another three months.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:59 PM

fuseholder setup in mine:

Old 12-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Seems to me that fuse would blow when you try to jump start the bike through it. I am pretty sure the starter pulls more that 48 Amps while cranking. (48 Amps is the fuse's rated capacity plus the max allowable 20% tolerance in manufacturing)

Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 PM

I can swap in a MAXI fuse in there from 20-100 AMPS, but 30-40 suffices.

For the most part, this cable is used as a easy hookup for the + charger alligator clip.

I have given and received jump starts from other bikes/cars using this.

Remember that not all of the current is being pulled through this wire during cranking. If I did not have the battery in place, then yes, all of the current for the start up is from the jump start source.A weak battery in addition to a jump will therefore not require the max current draw (through the fuseholder) that you speak of...