CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Possible charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible charging problem

So the wife and I went for a ride on september 30 for my bday and about 2 hrs into our ride I looked in my mirrors and her headlight was out and about that time the bike gave to backfires and coasted to a stop. The bike was still running but when she would give it gas it would just bog, so when she shut the bike off and turned the key back on and there was nothing. One weird thing was when we stopped she had a sulfer smell coming from under the seat, so I called my father to get my truck and come get the bike.

Once we got home we started looking the bike over and couldn't find anything, so we took the seat off and put the battery charger on the battery and let it charge for about 45 mins and when we turned the key (with the charger still charging) on there was some lights coming from the gauges but when we hit the start button we just got click, click. So after that we hooked up the jumper cablesfrom the bike to my truck and the bike started right up, but the moment I unhooked the jumper cables she died.

So my question to all is this, is my battery shot after only having it for about 4 months or is my rectifier shot and in turn killed my battery?

Thank you for any advise or info

Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

First thing I would check is the wiring loom for damage after smelling something wrong. Removal of parts prob required to get to it all I`m affraid. I would do this before connecting a fully charged battery to the system. I dont think having a mains charger connected to your battery and attempting to start it is a very goog idea at all soz mate. After allz proved good, its time to get a meter out mate. Check voltages with a fully charged battery, then start the bike and check again. Then test, test...you`ll hopefully soon find it mate. Keep posting if your not getting anywhere mate. Best of luck mate

Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look over the r/r and the connector. If you see any sign of heat-damage, replace it.
Look for any cracks or warping of the epoxy fill on the r/r and bubbled/melted plastic
on the connector. Pull the connection and look at the pins. If they look scorched/burnt
that's another indicator.

Try these links, to get a good over-view...

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-solved-27739/

Technical Resources - Resources for Electrical Systems on Motorcycles and ATVs - ElectroSport

Ern

Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 PM

Yeah sounds about what happened to mine. Except I put a brand new battery in a week prior (luckily I was cheap then and put a Walmart battery in) but exactly what happened to urs happened to mine. R/R was shot and killed my battery. After replacing both with the new Honda finned r/r haven't had a problem since so I'd deff give ur r/r a look cause mine had burned a hole straight through to the middle which could be the smell but I really don't know what caused it to malfunction

Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM

As always, thank you everybody for all the advise. I will definitely check any and all connectors and ill pull the r/r and see how it looks. Is there anyway to check the r/r?

I know this isn't what everybody wants to hear, but the wife and I are starting to get burnt out on this bike with all the air/fuel issues and now this. I know this is the wifes first bike and we didn't buy a brand new bike, but I wasn't expecting quite this much hassle.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:04 PM

So today was the first day I have had to fiddle with the bike since my last post. Just a little side note, when i got the bike the PO said he just put another r/r on the bike. I took the r/r off and this is what I found:

This is the plug:
Name:  2012-10-08_15-18-05_50.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  38.3 KB

This is the r/r:
Name:  2012-10-08_15-22-52_963.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  43.3 KB

This is the number on the r/r the PO had on the bike:
Name:  2012-10-08_15-21-03_906.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  48.8 KB

This is a pic of the r/r I just took off (on the left) and the one the PO replaced(on the right) which was the oem:
Name:  2012-10-08_15-21-31_64.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  49.7 KB

Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 PM

I'd replace the r/r, the new honda oem,rick's, GSXR 750-900 or electrosport.
All are viable options. I also recommend either a beefy new connector or just solder
and heat-shrink the connection.

Even if it was a good r/r replacement, a poor connection will burn it up.

As far as the frustration factor, an older bike does have it's quirks.
You should consider the re-build of all of the sub-systems as the joy of ownership
and an interesting way to learn motorcycle mechanics.

The trick is become pro-active. Inspect the bike thoroughly, prioritise and start
re-build/overhaul/maintenance on brakes, suspension, steering-head, harness, etc.
Assume a used bike has never had any maintenance that you didn't do, personally.
A little time/effort and you'll have it all caught-up and minty-fresh. The new 'used'
owned bike's will always have a maintenance curve to catch up to.

Ern

Ern

Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Just a little update:

I bought all new connectors and replaced all connectors and got a new battery and im just waiting on a new regulator.

I guess my frustration factor is caused by my wife more than the bike, lol. I love working on anything with a motor so having to fix something doesn't hurt me a bit. My wife on the other hand isnt very patient and expects everything to be perfect right out of the box. I've tried explaining to her that we didn't buy a 2012 600rr and this bike has some wear and tear and thing will break and go bad, but we'll get them fixed. Her problem is she loves riding the bike and hates it when she can't. Once I got it back together I started it up with the old r/r just so she could hear her baby again and her face lit up like she just got a new toy again. Only let it run for a minute.

Bottom line is this. The bike isjust about back up and running and she'll be able to ride it again till something else breaks on it.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 AM

The pro-active part is where you'll appease the wife. On the rainy weekends, etc.
start going over a section at a time of the bike's sub-systems.

Change the coolant/thermostat, inspect the fan circuit.

Tear-down and re-build the brakes, replacing fluid and re-packing the
hanger-pin boots.

Inspect/replace fork seals and change the fork-oil.

Inspect the entire harness and pack all of the connections/switches with di-electric grease.
Replace all of the old fuses, they do wear over time.

Etc...etc...

Although a used bike should not be considered reliable upon purchase...
It can be made reliable, afterwards.

Ern

Ern