CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Odd (high) Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd (high) Idle Issue

Hi!

'93 CBR F3. Stored for winter, took it out of storage, starts with a little choke, but after a minute or two, high idle (2000+ RPM) turning off choke causes bike to stop runnning. I've tried using the Throttle stop screw adjuster (idle adjuster), with no luck (clockwise will certainly increase the RPM, and counter will lower it, but only to about 2000RPM). I've verified with my eyes that the stop screw (idle adjuster) is functioning properly, but even at it's lowest setting it idles at about 2000RPM. With absolutely no choke it won't idle at all. If I add a little choke it remains on, and idles, but at 2000+. If I increase choke further (push the thumb adjuster towards the front of the bike) the RPM will drop to normal (but then it's cat and mouse). Previous to storing, increasing choke would result in high RPM (normal) until bike heated up, then turn off choke for normal operation. That seems to be reversed now. It makes no sense to me. I've confirmed throttle cables snap back (visually) and throttle stop screw functions fine. Choke cable works fins too (can see it moving slider left to right - which pulls out brass pin located tp the far left - and returns - though the pin seems to remain out about 1/8 of an inch). Unable to ride bike like this. RPM too low will result in random stalls, and too high would be brutal on the gear box coming out of neutral or going to first )

Summary:
Working fine before storage.
Bike will start when using a little choke only (will not start with full or no choke).
Bike idle will quickly creep up to 2000+ RPM (even when cold).
Only way to decrease idle is to increase choke (push adjuster towards front of bike). Which is opposite from all my experiences. ???

Suggestions?

As always, thanks in advance!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 PM

How long has it been stored?
did you drain or treat the fuel?
have you checked the air filter?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:50 PM

don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you are a little rusty. pulling the thumb adjuster towards you is putting choke on.. Let sit there until bike starts getting warm and it will climb a little over 3k almost 4. Push the lever towards the headlight a bit and repeat until fully warmed up. When its all said and done after the bike is warmed up, the choke lever should be as far away from you as it can get(choke completely off).

Old 07-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Ok, so I'm officially retarded. There wasn't anything wrong at all (up was really down and down was really up), other than my brain under the influence of cold medicine. {Hangs head in shame}. Thanks, all!