CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Need walkthrough VFR swingarm for f2/3

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need walkthrough VFR swingarm for f2/3

I have a 92 f2 frame and a 94-97 VFR swingarm. I have all the F2 and VFR shock linkages, and also the F2 shock, F3 shock, and 94-97 VFR shock. I've already noticed that the VFR swingarm bolt is too large for the cbr frame and the cbr swingarm bolt is too small for the vfr swingarm.

Has anyone completed this mod? help please and post your pics.

thanks.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Default RE: Need walkthrough VFR swingarm for f2/3

I did this mod but it was like three years ago. What questions do you have I will try to help as best as I can.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:34 AM

I hope this can help. It helps to hang the bike and remove your old swingarm and start to hang the VFR swingarm. Plus remove you exhaust pipe for now it will be in the way. This is a great opportunity to think about undertail exhaust.

Shock- I had a custom shock linkage made alot of others have just welded the shock linkage to the top of the VFR swingarm

Swingarm bolt and bearings- The VFR swingarm bolt will not work you will have to use the F3/F2 swingarm bolt. You must find bearings
that will fit into VFR swingarm with a inner diameter that will allow the F3 bolt to pass through. I was able to find these bearings in a GM alternator. Or you can have the VFR swingarm bolt machined down.

Frame carrier bearings- I think you will have to find new bearings that will fit into the frame with the same diameter as the F3/F2 swingmarm bolt. I think like I said its been a while

Chain - I had to removes some links from a brand new chain and I purchased a new front and rear sprocket.

Spacers - I had some spacers made so the swingarm could be centered in the frame. The spacers where placed between the frame and the VFR swingarm.

Left side rearset - on the three mounting points for the left rearset I used longer bolts and small spacers. The reason why is because with the bulk of the new VFR swingarm will not allow the left rearset to clear.

Gear shifting linkage - I had to bend it a little to make it work

Of course you will have to hook up all you brake lines and other odds and ends but I think thats about it. Remember to center your bike hanging is the best method and just start to hang the parts where needed and go from there. Email me at cjgoals@yahoo.com and I will send you some pictures. If you have any questions let me know.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 AM

Last edited by jahnaboi; 09-27-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:03 PM

after scratching my head for hours, i've concluded that i will need to use the f2 sa bolt unless i can get the vfr bolt machined down. Is that possible to do and rethread it? it sounds unlikely, so i will use the f2 sa bolt. my first challenge is the bearings. i've researched that the two bearings that are on the right side (brake side) for the f2 are 15x35x11 and that the vfr is 20x37x9....it would be simple if i could find bearings that were 15x37x9, but i could never find those dimensions online...so i thought that it would best tokeep the vfr bearings and have a reducer 15x20x18 machined to fill in the difference.

I've also thought that it would better to keep the original f2/3 shock and weld a mounting point on top of the vfr swingarm since i feel that welding a bracket on the underside of the f2 frame and using the vfr shock would affect the handling of the bike.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:09 PM

I was wondering how did you mod come out? Did you find the bearings you needed or did you just cut and rethread the swingarm bolt?

Old 09-15-2008, 05:37 AM

A big thanks for asking. Actually with only 20 minutes left and no bids on ebay for a hawk gt swingarm. i found out that the bearings were the same as the F2 and that the hawkgt sssa had a top side shock mount and it seems like most of the parts from the 97 sssa will fit in the hawkgt sssa from my quick parts break down research, so bought it thinking that it would be easier to mount assuming it could if it weren't wider thanthe frame. turns out that the hawk gt fits in the frame perfectly. there was absolutely noissue with the fit or hardware.the f2/3 shock is too short to use and the 97 vfr shock seems like it is long enough. the issue is that the coolant bottle will have to come out and there's a slight clearance issue with the bottom of the spring area and the swingarm. a quick fix would be to notch out a little bit of the swingarm and then fill it in, or to find a shock with the perfect length, but have a longer length from the bottom mount to the bottom of the spring.
I have thought about the superhawk shock. it looks like it would work. i just don't want to keep spending anymore money just for trial and error. i already know that the hawkgt shock is too short at the bottom mount point. see link below.
http://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6549

Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 AM

I can remember I had to use a VFR coolant bottle because it did get tight. Its been so long I can't remember to much about this mod. I should write everything I did down on a sheet of paper just incase I forget over time. I did not need a longer shock because my friend helped me make a shock linkage so I was able to use the stock F3 shock. I hope it all works out for you and post some pictures when you are done.

VALK

Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 PM

As of now, because nothing that i've done is final, i'm not gong to jot down any notes at the moment, but i'm trying to remember to take pictures as I go. When i'm done with the mod, i'll publish a step by step of what i did...unless i'm logging miles.