CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Lost power while on the freeway!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murdocity
Well after a couple of days of not riding by bike, I finally started her up and rode her to work. I didn't lose power and it didn't turn off. I noticed that when I miss shifted it lose some power but I quickly corrected it and it operated normal. Might it be my shifting? I tried shifting differently this time and my bike rode better, but I'm still gonna check the relay this weekend.

As for the grade of fuel, I don't know I'm confused, so 91 is 87 in the US? So for what country was the manual written for?
This will tell you everything you need to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

RON/MON/AKI are the different measurements of octane. the individual who posted before read 91 RON in the manual, which is 87 AKI. AKI is the measurement used at pumps here in the US. 87/89/91/93 ect.

As for you shifting. Have you checked the connections to the battery? If you are miss shifting and causing the bike some upset the wires could not making complete contact. take a look.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:26 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

okay i live in the US, in Connecticut..... and it says in my manual 91 or above and i use 93 and my bike runs great soo idk i guess im still confused with all the RON and stuff i just use Shell 93 thats all i know...with stabilizier....
and 93 is only a few cents more and filling up this tank for 10 bucks thats why i use 93... still cheap... in my car i use 87.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Default What octane does the manual actually say?

I bought my 1998 F3 used, and I don't have the manual. I am curious what the manual actually says with regard to octane rating.

Is 91 specified in RON or is there no designation in the manual? Could someone clear this up? I would presume that the manual would be using AKI (since that is the measurement in the US for which market the bike was manufactured and sold).

Unless the manual explicitly states RON, I would assume AKI.

Might someone with a manual clarify? (Or even scan the bastard so I can have a copy.) :-)

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by khad
I bought my 1998 F3 used, and I don't have the manual. I am curious what the manual actually says with regard to octane rating.

Is 91 specified in RON or is there no designation in the manual? Could someone clear this up? I would presume that the manual would be using AKI (since that is the measurement in the US for which market the bike was manufactured and sold).

Unless the manual explicitly states RON, I would assume AKI.

Might someone with a manual clarify? (Or even scan the bastard so I can have a copy.) :-)

Thanks!
http://cbrworld.net/forums/57/ShowForum.aspx
there is a section here for what types of fuel the f3 uses, think the server is down for them at the moment.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Hey I briefly read the posts and didn't see anything on checking your battery connection...Check and make sure the connectors on your battery are tight..if not tighten them... I had almost the same exact desciption of the problem about 4 months ago....I was on the interstate and bike kept going in and out of losing power and a strong aroma of gas was lingering (I have and F4i idk if that makes any difference at all)...went home tightened up the connectors on the battery and havent had a problem since! Good Luck!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:06 PM

Ok, bro I will check to see it the connections need to be tightened some more. After the post, with out doing anything, the bike came back to normal, but it started happening again about two days ago. I don't know what it might be, but I'm gonna check the battery, the fuel pumps contacts and the fuel cutoff relay. thanks for the suggestion

Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the problem is intermittent like that, some kind of short or loose electrical connection seems likely. (points back to the fuel pump contacts as a big thing to check)

Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 PM

about a month ago, Honda dealership changed the rectifier/regulator. They replace the connections and everything but didn't tell me about any shorts. But I have a feeling it might be the fuel pump contacts so I'm gonna give it a check. I think I'm also gonna check the wiring to see if anything is out of place.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murdocity
about a month ago, Honda dealership changed the rectifier/regulator. They replace the connections and everything but didn't tell me about any shorts. But I have a feeling it might be the fuel pump contacts so I'm gonna give it a check. I think I'm also gonna check the wiring to see if anything is out of place.
i changed mine and replaced the wires with a higher gauge wire, but i looked recently and my wires have small burn marks on them, nothing major, just some burn marks.

Makes me wonder if i should rewire the whole harness or just sit in a corner and cry a little.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you guys changing it with an OEM r/r? They're more notorious for failing than the cct

And tho I don't think it has happened to me yet (tho possible considering the condition of the starter relay), I've heard of the r/r failure causing a cascade effect on other eletrical systems. Which if true then you could enter a vicious cycle of electrical component failure

Quick Reply: Lost power while on the freeway!