CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

I think I finally tracked down the oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I finally tracked down the oil leak

It's a negligible that leaks probably only leaves a couple drops on the ground or so a day. It looks like it's coming from the water pump wear it connects to the motor. My question is now. Can I take the water pump out without oil leaking everywhere, or is it a task that has to be done when the oil is drained? Another question would it be an O-Ring that's bad or what?

I really didn't know that was the water pump until looking at a microfiche. I'm planning on doing a quick oil change on it but if I need oil drained to work on the pump I'll leave that off until I have time to order the o-ring and replace it.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:15 PM

What does your coolant look like?

Old 07-08-2009, 11:02 PM

Looks normal. It has the orange kind of coolant. It's separate from the oil. It's where the rod of the pump connects to the crankcase to drive the pump.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Yeah, you're gonna have to drain the oil. May as well replace both o-rings since you're taking the pump out.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by WBBulldogs
Looks normal. It has the orange kind of coolant. It's separate from the oil. It's where the rod of the pump connects to the crankcase to drive the pump.
Thats why I asked. Those O-rings deteriorate and before you know it oil will be floating around in your coolant system.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:27 PM

I'm sort of confused on what orings to replace I see one on the microfiche for the water pump that goes against the crankcase. Where's the other o-ring? Could you give me a part number? It'd be really appreciated.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coolant cannot exchange with the oil at the water pump... well that is unless the seals on the spindle fail. I think you would see the coolant coming out of the weep hole before that could happen though. However, the oil can exchange with the coolant at the oil cooler. There are 5 o-rings in that thing (if I remember correctly). There are 4 for the collars that go between the oil cooler and block. The 5th is for the oil cooler housing.
For the water pump, there is only 1 o-ring between the block and water pump. There is a second o-ring that can be purchased which is for the water pump lid. You can probably get away without replacing that one. To replace it though, you will have to drain the oil. So, I recommend to replace the o-ring when you change the oil.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by marc0011
For the water pump, there is only 1 o-ring between the block and water pump. There is a second o-ring that can be purchased which is for the water pump lid. You can probably get away without replacing that one. To replace it though, you will have to drain the oil. So, I recommend to replace the o-ring when you change the oil.
Yeah, those are the two I was referring to. I just figured it you're pulling the pump, may as well pop it open and swap the lid gasket since the other one's going (and if it's cheap). But Courtney's right, it's by no means required.