CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

Can anyone tell me where this oil leak is coming from?

[IMG]local://upfiles/23307/E32186F1FEF1479C9428377D3FE0E223.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23307/DAF2FE59531A4FAEA206FE373339955C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Default RE: Oil Leak

If you give it a good cleaning and start the engine, it should be possile to locate the leak.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like the seal on the end of the crankshaft - The plug you can see in the photo with the nut head on it is to set up the timing, There is another unit into which the plug is threaded, and I think there's a gasket between it and the engine & crank.......may not be too bad.......section 10 of the manual under crankcase separation, shows a gasket, no 7......may be leaking, although can't be sure from the pics...........can't seem to download it into this message, sorry, it's a pdf file..

Old 02-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Hard to say where it's leaking......but you should do a proper cleanup so that all the oil/dirt is gone and the engine is dry...then go for a long ride and after that try to see where the oil comes from. Stop at some ocasions and see if there is some "new" oil leaking.
(the "old man" answered quicklier..........hi shadow, i can only say that today cause i'm getting old tomorrow= 40)
(Two posts while i was writing my answer...damn i am slow......) []

Old 02-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I had a leak similar to that one when I bought my bike a couple years ago. Originally I thought it was coming from a gasket between the crankcase and the cover. Also thought it was from the grommet around the wiring harness for the pulse generator (on the starting clutch parts page). Turns out the bike had been down on the left side at one time in it's history. There was a small hairline crack that would open up after the engine warmed up. I ordered a new Left Crankcase cover for it. Before it arrived, I JB Welded it from the inside. It's never given me a problem since. I still have the new one. It's only $42 for the cover anyway.

As mentioned by others, you really need to clean it well to get the old oil and dirt off of it. Then ride for a while to look for the source. I would think it should be easy to find.

(Added)
Oh yea, if you do end up taking that left crankcase cover off, you don't have to drain the oil. Watch that grommet at the top, it's actually got 2 grommets that are triangular in shape and fit into a wedge slot in the crankcase.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:53 PM

Yes, this bike had been dropped on the left side too, before I bought it. I will clean her up and recheck it. Thanks for the advice, I'll have a good look at the case for any cracks.

Was your hairline crack on the housing or in the engine side? Did you need to replace teh gasket afterwards if you did remove the housing?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

The hairline crackwas in the corner where there is a molded relief where the bracket that mounts to it has some nuts. This is the spare that I bought when I was going to replace it. Ifi it ever does leak again, I'm prepared. I'm pointing to where the crack was. It was difficult to see on the outside, but I could feel the oil. It was easier to see on the inside. At first it just looked like a casting mark, but closer inspection, I could tell it was a crack.

The arrow is pointing to where it was cracked, right in the corner of the relief.
Name:  DSC02881.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  62.4 KB

I ended up filling in the inside area with JB Weld. I let dry for a day and put it back on. I did replace the gasket. I'm kinda **** that way. I really hate doing things twice. Since I was fixing an oil leak, I wanted to be sure that,if it was leaking again, it wasn't because the gasket was bad.

The area circled is where I filled in with JB Weld. I made sure that I didn't get the filler so high it would get hit by the pulse generator disk. It spins in close proximity to the cover.
Name:  DSC02882.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  75.4 KB

Old 02-25-2008, 10:18 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARKO - DAMN , YOU'RE SO SLOW.......HE HE
Old ? at 40 ? NO WAY..
They say cold weather makes your brain slow.......
Have a great day and be safe
Med Vennlig Hilsen, Min Fenn

Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 PM

Nice pics, Idodirt -
Just a thought for Coopz -G'Day, Mate !- as you've just dumped your beloved on her left side casing, you may like to check for the same thing under the plastic cover, before you have a similar problem ?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 AM

Tack så mycket kompis (kompis=friend)!!!
Thanks Shadow, now i don't have to explain why my hair i grey...he he !

Quick Reply: Oil Leak