CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

help, front brakes are grinding

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:20 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, front brakes are grinding

hello guys. i just recently finish puting back my bike that was dropped. everything is ok but the front calipers are grinding against the rotors and the bike is really stoped. like as if the front brakes were engaged slightly.

im trying to figure out if maybe i installed the collars on the axle wrong. or idk....

any ideas? could it be pressure in the lines? i just bleed the front calipers and they seem ok. ..

im clueless to what this might be... im guessing maybe one rotor is bent??? idk.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You always get contact between the disc & pads, makes anything from a slight friction to grinding noise. But if its really audible while your riding then something is definitely wrong. When replacing the front wheel, my manual tells you to allow for clearance between the calipers & the disc (my standard tool kit that came with the bike actually has the feeler gauge for that purpose) Its a thin bugger (0.028 inch) or (0.7mm). So it does not give you much to play with & this could be the noise. Do you have a workshop manual for bike? This will give you the info you need for axle & collars.
Only other possiblity is the dreaded warped disc.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

yeah i do but is not as detailed as i would expect it to be.
ANYWAYS>

i found the problem. the rotor is grinding against the left (startor side) left side caliper bracket. is starting to eat away. but there is something definately wrong. and i dont know what it is.

the only 2 things i notice is that the rotor is grinding against the braket. and that the axle end. you know how it normally should sit tight and show the lil pin hole??? well mine is tight but the pin hole is half way in. as if i was missing a collar or something.
i have the long collar on the nut end and the short on the axle pinhole end. just like the fsm says. i dont know what it could be.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-24-2009, 06:10 PM

I had a problem kind of like this. I used f2 forks on my f3 and the top edge of the rotor would grind against the calipers. Did you happen to change the forks?

Old 04-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned

no they are all 96 parts. except the axle is a 95.

anyways the rotor is not grinding against the top. is more like on the side. on the outside top of the rotor agaisnt the caliper braket.

im going to take the wheel off on monday (i work weekends) and im going to play around with the axle spacers. and see if maybe i can figure it out, im going to check the rotors too see if maybe they are bent. i doubt is the caliper.....

Old 05-02-2009, 06:52 PM

When i replaced my front tire and slipped in some shiny new galfers i had noticed my clearances were off as well and the rotor was running into the fork on the right side, luckily before i started tightening. turns out i had the collars on the wrong sides =P Make sure the Pads are in the groove with the bracket too...

Old 05-03-2009, 04:40 AM
Banned

yeah i already fixed it, i posted on my other thread.
it ended up being the caliper pad braket was somehow bent and wouldnt let the pad return back in so it would push agaisnt the rotor making it grind on the side of the caliper.
is all good now. =)