CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Got my first bike.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bike is up and running. All I have left to do is get the tank mounts, fab a hose to run from water pump to oil cooler, put the chain on, and get a new rear tire. I need to get the headlight and turn signal situation worked out so it will be street legal but that will be after Christmas. Any additional updates will be in the streetfighter section in my build log. Thanks for all the help everyone has given me. Awesome information!

Old 11-22-2013, 04:12 AM
Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by jackojeff
Thanks for the pic! I was thinking, I know for one hose I just used a small piece of leftover fuel line. I was thinking of doing the same for all of it but I ended up using all I purchased so I just used the heater hose instead. I did have to re-do the main air feed in the middle of the carbs as I couldn't open the throttle as the heater hose was too thick, so I got some clear tubing from lowe's and it works great. After I get the bike on the road will be the real test but for now everything seems to be doing its job. I might go back with zip ties for a clamp but only if they don't want to stay.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

Great thread!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by dac181
Thanks for the pic! I was thinking, I know for one hose I just used a small piece of leftover fuel line. I was thinking of doing the same for all of it but I ended up using all I purchased so I just used the heater hose instead. I did have to re-do the main air feed in the middle of the carbs as I couldn't open the throttle as the heater hose was too thick, so I got some clear tubing from lowe's and it works great. After I get the bike on the road will be the real test but for now everything seems to be doing its job. I might go back with zip ties for a clamp but only if they don't want to stay.
the dyno guy put the zip ties on my pipes but that was because its a race bike and gets a lot of vibration and hammer yours will probably be okay although better safe than sorry

hows the build going?

Old 11-30-2013, 10:49 PM

I've put the build on hold until after the holidays. All I really need now are a rear tire, install the chain, and the tank mounts. I also need to replace the cam chain tensioner and check the oil cooler. There's a load of oil in the coolant and I believe the cooler might have a bad seal. From what I can tell it's just some o-ring seals, and if that's the case it will be an easy fix. Of course I'm gonna flush the cooling system and change the oil when I tackle that. Is it necessary to have a coolant reservoir? Bike currently is missing it but if it isn't required I'll just leave it off.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:02 AM

Its not a coolant reservoir its an overflow, i used a water bottle most of this last season or buy the hrc overflow bottle and zip tie it near your tank

The overflow is there for when the system gets hot and the liquid inside expands above 1.1psi then it goes into the overflow but once the system cools again it will try and suck the liquid back in, so either use a 1.6psi cap so it lets less out but will have a higher system pressure or make sure the pipe goes into the bottle and is submerged in liquid before the radiator overflows this way your radiator wont suck air into the system

Old 12-01-2013, 04:07 AM

Oh and yes the oil cooler is a bunch of o rings change them all and the bolts that hold the cooler on so change them for maybe stainless (use copper grease) and if thats not it then check the water pump then the head gasket last, saw a mates oil cooler come loose the oil and coolant mixed in both, his rad cap flew off and left him at the side of the track covered in a grey oily mixture so make sure you torque it up to the correct specs

Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 PM

Well I definitely will be sure and torque everything down. I don't need something blowing apart when I FINALLY get it back on the move. Thanks for all the info also. Everyone here has been a huge help!