CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Got my first bike.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dac181
Found out the factory pump wiring will work the pump I bought. Was pretty sure it would but not certain. Tested it today and it works great, now I just have to figure out where my soldering iron and solder is at... also gotta figure out if I want to use a 90 degree elbow on the pump with a small piece of fuel line between the pump, filter, and petcock or use the filter that came with the pump. Thinking I'm gonna go with the elbow and put a fuel pressure regulator in line to the carbs to keep the pump from flooding them on start up. Anyone know exactly how much pressure it is the float valve require to close/open?
no idea but the pressure regulator will have to be set to the correct pressure for when the ram air kicks in and pressurises the floats to allows more fuel to flow, ring a honda dealer and ask what psi the stock fuel pump works at

Old 11-11-2013, 05:11 PM

So I called a Honda dealer to ask about stock fuel pump psi, waste of time, then I called Honda Powersports main support line and got a lot of help. They weren't able to tell me stock psi of the factory fuel pump but they are going to email a few sections from the factory service manual. The dealership service guy told me, "Nah man I don't even have a service manual for that model, have you tried the internet?" If they aren't making money they don't have time to deal with you I guess. Oh well, the rep at Honda was super awesome!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:33 AM

So I called a Honda dealer to ask about stock fuel pump psi, waste of time, then I called Honda Powersports main support line and got a lot of help. They weren't able to tell me stock psi of the factory fuel pump but they are going to email a few sections from the factory service manual. The dealership service guy told me, "Nah man I don't even have a service manual for that model, have you tried the internet?" If they aren't making money they don't have time to deal with you I guess. Oh well, the rep at Honda was super awesome!
bit different here in the uk i find some will help and some wont and some wont help until you tell them that your a club racer then everything is at cost price and they cant help you enough

Old 11-12-2013, 02:25 PM

I've had good and bad experiences with dealerships of all kinds, but I find when they claim they can't help you and you ask for the manufacturers service contact they magically find what you're looking for. This didn't happen yesterday but it has happened when working on cars before. GM and Ford techs don't want you calling corporate service techs for an answer they couldn't provide you.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by jackojeff

thats the pair valve
I have nothing that remotely resembles that on the engine. I guess the previous owner removed it but I don't see any holes to block off or anything on the intake to block either. Possibly they swapped to a UK head? Any way I also removed the slow speed intake stuff from the carbs. The valve with all the tubes run to it and etc. Still no luck on getting it running. Quick question, if the clutch safety switch is missing will that keep it from starting?

Old 11-14-2013, 03:11 AM

I have nothing that remotely resembles that on the engine. I guess the previous owner removed it but I don't see any holes to block off or anything on the intake to block either. Possibly they swapped to a UK head? Any way I also removed the slow speed intake stuff from the carbs. The valve with all the tubes run to it and etc. Still no luck on getting it running. Quick question, if the clutch safety switch is missing will that keep it from starting?
well not all cbr f3's had the pair valve only for a certain state, cali?

so probably first registered in another state or something so didnt come with the pair system. thats a bonus no blocking things off.

show me how you have removed the low speed air solenoid?
have you re-wired the side stand switch to be in the on position permanently? its 3 wires just wire the 2 outside wires and hit the starter button see if that starts it up

no if the clutch switch wasnt attached it just wouldnt start in gear, might be worth fitting them though

Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 AM

Here's how I have the low speed air to carbs done atm. It wasn't all there to begin with so I didn't have the little connector piece to join the tubes. Thinking of just getting some small pvc or maybe a brass pipe to join them.

Name:  DSC_0792_zpsc6c4b8f1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  97.8 KB

Here's how I turn the bike over atm... the solenoid is bad and until I get one coming in the mail this seems to be working.

Name:  DSC_0793_zpse3e609a5.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  119.2 KB

And finally the fuel cut relay was also bad, when it got power it would stop working, so I have a small piece of wire for a jumper. Will probably put a new relay on after I've done the tear down and start putting it all back together.

Name:  DSC_0794_zps59521740.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  74.6 KB

Old 11-15-2013, 04:27 AM

for the air solenoid dont bother getting another it makes no difference to how your bike runs at low speed just go and buy some hosing 13mm inside diameter and around 20mm outside diameter thats the size of the hosing i used removed the black box and just have 2 pipes until it splits. will take a picture later as i have my tank off at the moment

i would recomend another starter relay but dont bother with the fuel cut relay i dont run one on my bike just solder the wires together and wrap them up then hide them inside the loom

Old 11-15-2013, 10:36 PM

Well I ordered some parts today. Ordered a starter solenoid, a set of foot pegs for the front (the bike currently has 2 right side pegs on it so its weird), and I also bought a battery box that had everything it was supposed too because it was like $10 shipped. I had been wanting one and all the ones on ebay were ranging from $20-50, so $10 was a still. Everything should be here within the next 2 weeks.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:31 AM

Got the new starter solenoid in today, installed it, and still the same problem. It just clicks. I was hoping this was gonna solve the issue but now I have no idea what to check next? Could it be the start switch itself? How could I go about checking it?

EDIT: I figured out what it was... Whoever attempted to work on the bike before I got it messed with a lot of the wires, cutting and splicing, and apparently they cut the side stand switch out of the harness. After tracing colors on the wiring diagram Honda sent me I was able to figure out all that and just twisted those loose wires together and now it spins over like it should. Hurray, now to get some gas going to the carbs and see if I can't get it to run today.

Last edited by dac181; 11-19-2013 at 12:16 PM.