CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Gas?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you've done some engine moidifications use whatever octane is recommended in your owners manual. Anything more than that is just a waste of money but I guess there's the placebo effect performance boost.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Shell V-power 91 (premium) only now, used to run Sunoco Ultra 94 until they were bought out by Petro Can but i have used 87 in a pinch. I do notice a slight difference in power and milage and now shell is the only gas i use. Just my two cents.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Doesn't Canada use the RON system for measuring octane?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Doesn't Canada use the RON system for measuring octane?
Nope, we use the AKI system.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 PM

As usual... two different sides and I feel like i'm back to square one! lol

Old 12-21-2012, 01:50 AM

I would recommend premium, as it isn't a whole lot more money to fill up a bike with (maybe $1 per fill).
thats what ive used for both bikes i have owned, and never had a problem or money shortage.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:41 AM

haha sorry to lauh but honda made the bikes to run on 87 octane? are you mad or delusional? here in Europe we only have 95 octane and up because shell loves us
id rather push my cbr than but anything below 95 in it honestly, the octane over here goes up to about 102 and god that stuff runs nice, premium fuels have a few more additives to clean the carbon crap out also higher amounts of ethanol making it burn cleaner. dont run 102 on a standard setup but 99 runs fine on a standard bike especially when its cold as the higher the octane the easier it is to ignite.

oh and before i go the HIGHER the octane the MORE bhp you can get out of it!!! this is why 102 octane is known as RACE fuel. if setup with hotter plugs and rejetted for 102 there are ponies to be made NOT lost.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by jackojeff
haha sorry to lauh but honda made the bikes to run on 87 octane? are you mad or delusional? here in Europe we only have 95 octane and up because shell loves us
id rather push my cbr than but anything below 95 in it honestly, the octane over here goes up to about 102 and god that stuff runs nice, premium fuels have a few more additives to clean the carbon crap out also higher amounts of ethanol making it burn cleaner. dont run 102 on a standard setup but 99 runs fine on a standard bike especially when its cold as the higher the octane the easier it is to ignite.

oh and before i go the HIGHER the octane the MORE bhp you can get out of it!!! this is why 102 octane is known as RACE fuel. if setup with hotter plugs and rejetted for 102 there are ponies to be made NOT lost.
There are so many things wrong with your post....

Europe uses the RON system, which is not the same as the AKI system used in North America. So 87 AKI here is equal to about 92 RON. So the 95 RON for you guys is like our 89 AKI midgrade fuel. It's just a different rating system, doesn't mean it's better .

The higher the octane the HARDER it is to ignite. Requires more compression and heat of combustion for the spark to ignite it.

Ethanol is HORRIBLE for motorcycle engines.

I won't even comment on your race fuel statement....

Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackojeff

As has been mentioned several times in this thread, if the engine was TUNED to use a higher octane than what is recommended in the owners manual it can benefit from from it. However, simply running a higher octane gas in an engine designed to run on regular doesn't do squat as far as increased performance goes.

In fact, it may even decrease its performance if you go too high.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
As has been mentioned several times in this thread, if the engine was TUNED to use a higher octane than what is recommended in the owners manual it can benefit from from it. However, simply running a higher octane gas in an engine designed to run on regular doesn't do squat as far as increased performance goes.

In fact, it may even decrease its performance if you go too high.
There's also the fact of the un-burned fuel which will gunk up the motor over time...