CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

fw 98 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011 | 04:48 AM
|
Default fw 98 starting problems

Morning all,

I'm new here so please be gentle!, i'm having problems with my cbr600 fw 98 uk model. I brought the bike as a basket case and had a full rebuild, i've got problems with the wiring side of things, the history is like this:

wirng loom all checked over for contunity, and seems good. all connected up turned on and the 10 amp fuse for the fuel pump blew, i replaced this and was ok, started to fire up and then the fuel pump relay popped, and i mean popped!. so I have fitted a new relay for the fuel pump & new 10 amp fuse and checked the starter relay fuse 30 amp which is also fine. I think there might be a problem or it's fried the regulator/rectifier as I had the bike running briefly before stripping it down. I've just tired to power the fuel pump with a 12v input and nothing at all from it.

Any ideas on where to look next or what to test would be extremely appreciated as i've gone up a dead end now and would be fantastic to get it sorted!.

Old 03-14-2011 | 07:30 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

i wish i knew more about the bike. i just got mine this year and havent learn a lot yet. but if you wait patiently, someone here will answer your questions.

Old 03-15-2011 | 11:21 PM

Wiring can be a true pain in the *** sometimes. You hooked the fuel pump directly to a 12V battery and got nothing out of it? It sounds to me like the problem would be within the pump then. Pull the black plastic backing of the pump off to expose the contacts. The casing of the pump is grounded I'm pretty sure? My guess is that you've got your wires crossed or touching somewhere in there. If you disconnect the fuel pump, pull the back off and provide more details I'll be glad to help.

Old 03-16-2011 | 02:33 PM
|

Hi Cinderfella, cheers for pointing me in the fuel pump direction...well the story is now this: I took off the cap (screw in the end of the fuel pump) and i thought i"d try the 12v supply again with the cap off, result that fired up and turns out it was the screw was abit too long and seems to of shorted out in the pump causing the pump to not run. Still however I cannot get anything from it to even turn over, the switch is dead completely. I have checked all th fuses and the starter relay fuse 30 amps and that is ok, all the other bits work ie lights and horn with the ignition on, but no power to the fuel pump either. Any further ideas where I might need to look for and what to test or any pointers please?

thanks for your time in answering my questions....we're getting there

Old 03-16-2011 | 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by wookster
result that fired up and turns out it was the screw was abit too long and seems to of shorted out in the pump causing the pump to not run. Still however I cannot get anything from it to even turn over, the switch is dead completely.
so, does the engine turn over at all? if not, make sure your kill switch isnt turned off, and check you kickstand switch to make sure its not bad/shorted

Old 03-17-2011 | 01:52 PM
|

Hi, yeah the side stand is up and you can hear it switching out, with the ignition on however you still get no buzz off the fuel pump and the kill switch is on, but the starter is dead as a door nail

I have a feeling that it might be the starter relay?, the 30 amp fuse is ok and the 10amp fuel pump fuse isn't popping yet...
Otherwise could it be the regulator/rectifier?.
Any further suggestions or guidance would be great.

Cheers all