CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JScottB
Rotella T6. The reason why is because it's one of the few modern oils that work well in my ancient 73 cb750 and 75 cb550. When I first got my 550 road worthy again I was using regular motor oil and the clutch slipped like crazy even though it was properly adjusted and in excellent shape. I can't say how it relates to newer bikes in fact it might not be an issue with later cbr's but early 70's era bikes with wet clutches can't deal with all the friction modifiers that modern motor oils have at least my old Honda's can't. I prefer synthetics but that's an argument that I'm in no mood to debate however the advice I can give you that I will stand by is that regardless of what brand or type of oil you choose, do yourself and your bike a favor and change the oil and filter on a scheduled basis.
Really!? That's great news, I have 3 CB750s, a CB450, and a CB360 prepped for AHRMA. I've been looking for a quality oil that won't break the bank. T6 is still sold at Walmart in the 5 gallons, right?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

never seen it in 5 gallon buckets. only 1 gallon and sometimes 1 quart. maybe try tractor supply for 5 gallon buckets. i think they have re-bottled it and sell it in larger quantities. there was a thread fairly recently about it.

edit:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/hurricane...ed-tsc-131720/

Last edited by 74demon; 01-12-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scatman200
Really!? That's great news, I have 3 CB750s, a CB450, and a CB360 prepped for AHRMA. I've been looking for a quality oil that won't break the bank. T6 is still sold at Walmart in the 5 gallons, right?
Besides my youngest's cbr there is my oldest son's cb750, my 550 and a 71 cb175. Earlier this summer my oldest son sold his sweet 71 cb350 in order to fund the rebuild of his 750. I've got a passion for the vintage Jap bikes because that's pretty much what I grew up seeing all the time when I was a kid. There are other oils that will work well with the older bikes but I've chosen the Rotella T6 because it's a good oil that works well with our older bikes and is easily available around here.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 AM

I just change my oil to t6. And I have to say it runs smoother and shifts better. But I was running lucus semi synth/ !

Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides my youngest's cbr there is my oldest son's cb750, my 550 and a 71 cb175. Earlier this summer my oldest son sold his sweet 71 cb350 in order to fund the rebuild of his 750. I've got a passion for the vintage Jap bikes because that's pretty much what I grew up seeing all the time when I was a kid. There are other oils that will work well with the older bikes but I've chosen the Rotella T6 because it's a good oil that works well with our older bikes and is easily available around here.
nice catch there,
i just restored a cb550 76' on the forum!
https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-...-build-132756/
shes a pretty girl.
the prev owner put new oil in Valvoline? some crap or something.
she was slipping a bit and i thought it could be the clutch.
did the oil change today with Rotella t6 and shes a dream.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmanr
I just change my oil to t6. And I have to say it runs smoother and shifts better. But I was running lucus semi synth/ !

Mrmanr, glad to hear this, which bike are you running T6 in? Looks like we've mended the modern and vintage honda owners (finally!)

Old 01-14-2012, 03:48 PM

I use the Mobil 1 full synthetic for bikes in my f4i. I love it.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been rolling with Castrol since the 80's, haven't had a reason to change.
Main thing is keep oil in the bike and avoid anything with 'slippery" additives
design for cars. They have a seperate tranny/clutch so doesn't cause issues for them.
They will cause slippage issues with the shared lubrication of motorcycles though.

My 2 cents worth, Ern

Old 01-14-2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
the prev owner put new oil in Valvoline? some crap or something.
she was slipping a bit and i thought it could be the clutch.
did the oil change today with Rotella t6 and shes a dream.

When using a motor oil that's not specifically blended for motorcycle engines then what you have to look out for is the words "energy conserving" somewhere on the label where it lists the oils API standards. Sometimes the standards are printed in a circle and if energy conserving appears on the bottom radius of that circle then don't use it in your older bikes with wet clutches. I don't know if it's an issue with say a later model CBR but the clutches in older Hondas don't like it and if you take a look at a bottle of T6, you'll see that circle but that bottom radius of the circle where "energy conserving" would normally appear is blank.

The 550 engine will get tore down soon to be re-ringed, a new primary chain and a new cam to give her some more muscle in a futile attempt to keep up with both my kids bikes.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When using a motor oil that's not specifically blended for motorcycle engines then what you have to look out for is the words "energy conserving" somewhere on the label where it lists the oils API standards. Sometimes the standards are printed in a circle and if energy conserving appears on the bottom radius of that circle then don't use it in your older bikes with wet clutches. I don't know if it's an issue with say a later model CBR but the clutches in older Hondas don't like it and if you take a look at a bottle of T6, you'll see that circle but that bottom radius of the circle where "energy conserving" would normally appear is blank.

The 550 engine will get tore down soon to be re-ringed, a new primary chain and a new cam to give her some more muscle in a futile attempt to keep up with both my kids bikes.
dont tell anyone, but i am about to turbo mine.
i hear these girls have strong engines that can handle 100hp with no case cracking!
holy hell, take a look:
78 CB750F Turbo, post build review
its a 750 i think, but shes almost identical.

Quick Reply: F3 oil questions