CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 not starting up.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F3 not starting up.

My 1996 F3 isn't starting up. The battery was dead and when I tried jump starting the bike, it only clicked. When i put the bike in gear and tried to start it, it just lurched forward a few inches each time i pressed the starter.
Now, I just bought a new battery and when I installed it, not even the cluster would light up.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a bad connection..i hope that when you jumpstarted the bike, whatever you were jumping it with was turned off. car batteries have way to much power and you'll end up ruining your battery. if you have the cables attached then it should start right up which leads me to believe there is a bad connection near the battery. i would check the starter relay. just follow the lead coming from the positive terminal and you will run right into it. if this is fried or has a bad connection you wont get any juice to any part of the bike. this is probably the eaisest thing to check too. if this isnt it im not sure what else, just check all of your connections coming from the battery, fuses too.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:19 PM

well when you bought the new battery was the acid inside charged up? where did you get the battery? when my bike did this and i had to get a new battery cycle gear told me that the new battery has to charge up for like 4 hours before you can install it. I also bought a battery tender jr and ive never had a problem since

Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 PM

It should say right on the battery box if it comes charged or not. Most batteries that you get in stores are not charged unless it's one of those Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries. I agree with DCaldwell - check your connections. That's the easiest to start with and the most probable cause.

1.) Check and make sure your battery is charged. The fact that the bike it clicking lets you know that there is some juice getting to the starter, just not enough amperage.
2.) Check all of your connections, fuses, relays, everything.

If that doesn't work check back in.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Sorry for the delay in reply.

Turns out the battery i bought wasn't charged, even though it said it was. The relay is fine, the cluster lights up now.
When i hit the ignition button, the bike still wants to start up, still lurches forward, and i'm pretty sure i hear a small rumble from the exhaust.

Could it be possible that the carbs need cleaning?
It did sit for about a month, even though i tried to drain out all the fuel and kept the lines closed.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM

It's hard to say for sure, it could be a couple of different things. But it wouldn't hurt to clean the carbs. It seems like 90% of the problems with this bike are fuel related, so that's where I'd put my money.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:19 AM

See if you amell fuel from the exhaust. If so then chances are the plugs are fouled. If not then I would make sure the fuel pump is working correctly. From there check vacuum leaks and if all that is good then I would consider cleaning the carbs. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the fuel but after draining it out I only had to crank it for about 10 sec before it fired. Im guessing its a fuel system problem if not the plugs. Check all the east stuff first before tearing into anything. "Eliminate the impossible and what remains must be the truth." - Albert Einstein

Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 PM

http://i35.tinypic.com/dvk0zt.jpg

is the image of the bottom of my fuel tank.
sorry, it's a work in progress.

i drained some greenish looking gas from my fuel tank (ew)
and well there never was a hose connecting to the open hole.

when i pulled the hose off the one that runs to the fuel pump there was a release of air. (i'm assuming that means vacuum)

I pulled the plugs and they looked clean.

i'm assuming i pulled the one can of old gas in my garage?

Sorry if it's confusing.
Anything i can clarify, let me know.

Thank you!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Considering as your fuel system needs a vent then any pressure release would indicate a vacuum forming so you would most likely be correct there. If the gas was discolored at all that could be part of your problem, but if the bike has been in the sun then a slight tank pressure will build up and is normal. Make sure there is fuel in the carb bowls. Just crack the drain screws on the bottom of each and see if any fuel leaks out. Have a dry rag handy to dry up the few drops. If your fuel was discolored I would consider draining them altogether to prevent any clogging in your carbs. Check Each spark plug for the correct gap and that they are, in fact, making adequate spark.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:04 PM

Thank you everyone for your help.
I got my bike running and the problem was that the coil for the #1 spark plug was plugged in the #2 slot.
After i changed those, emptied my tank out, and bought new gas, the bike jumped right to life.
Runs good as new. I appreciate all your help, guys.
Hope this serves as a lesson to check all the obvious things even though they may seem to be in order.