CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 Frame Protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 PM
daf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F3 Frame Protection

Hello,
So I am trying to turn my '96 f3 into somewhat of a stunt/mess around on bike. Aside from the frame sliders, can I get some input as to some other things to invest in? I was thinking, if they make them, some sort of front fork slider, as well as swingarm sliders. But since the F3 swingarm doesn't have holes for spools, I would have to drill + tap my own? What about a cage, can I find one that isn't gonna break my wallet?

A side note, if I wanted to remove the front end, to avoid busting up the wiring or anything fragile up there, how hard would that be? What about the tail light assembly? I know this is somewhat vague but any input would be great. Thanks.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/905-S...Q5fAccessories

that's a stunt cage.

they make one for the tail as well that replaces the grab bar, but i couldn't find it on ebay anymore.

hope that helps

Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by daf
A side note, if I wanted to remove the front end, to avoid busting up the wiring or anything fragile up there, how hard would that be? What about the tail light assembly? I know this is somewhat vague but any input would be great. Thanks.
Look up my name on the forums, as i've done some modifications with pictures that involved me taking the front fairings off, as well as a tail conversion.

IMO the plastics come off very easily, it's actually amazing that they stay in place as well as they do.

IDoDirt may link you a few others as well, as I'm sure he knows much more links

Best of luck

Old 12-11-2009, 11:15 AM
daf

that type of cage is exactly what i am looking for... but that is just too much $$$ for me to drop right now. Which gives me two options it seems like, either find a beat up used one for cheaper, or somehow come up with some decent blueprints and get one of my buddies to weld it. Anyone know if there are some good blueprints that include dimensions, lengths etc that I could use to custom fabricate my own?

Your mods give me some inspiration, very nice

Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 PM

I'm not sure if you find a full cage for under $250 so making one might be the best option.
I've never built a frame cage, but I've put together a couple roll cages for dune buggies and recreational cabs. Tubular steel is un-Godly expensive so the key is minimizing waste when building your cage.
I usually start with aluminum flex hose (like dryer venting.) I use it to mock up the correct lengths and then cut it. You can tape it into place or use cheap wooded dowels to keep it rigid to get your blueprint. From there I use the flex hose to make a template out of PVC piping. Once you have your PVC template you can take it to welding shops to get price quotes. This helps the shop build your project out of of smaller pieces (sometimes even scrap they have laying around) and can cut your waste down, resulting in a huge price break.
Scraps yards may have tubular steel you can get on the cheap but look for solid pieces without cracks or welds. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by daf
that type of cage is exactly what i am looking for... but that is just too much $$$ for me to drop right now. Which gives me two options it seems like, either find a beat up used one for cheaper, or somehow come up with some decent blueprints and get one of my buddies to weld it. Anyone know if there are some good blueprints that include dimensions, lengths etc that I could use to custom fabricate my own?

Your mods give me some inspiration, very nice
thanks,
and junkyards are amazing for finding some scraps.
alot of people cover old parts... and now errmm fairings apparently, with line-x or that truckbed stuff, its easy, rough and works fine.

ill keep a scout out for some used parts for ya on ebay.
did you say you were still looking for anything else, like the piece in the back that protects your tail from 90* wheelies?

EDIT: sorry, im asking because over winter break im going to be fabricating one myself, and i could make another one just as easily

Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 PM

let me decide what you plan to do, as we might be able to work together and make a killer one for each of us